* search for csv utilities
@ 2015-06-01 14:36 Jude DaShiell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-06-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'll be searching for a csv table editor to replace emacs-orgmode.  I have
concluded emacs-orgmode spreadsheet is unusable and the amount of data is
at 400 records now and will grow.  I can export to my iPhone and use
numbers sheets or excel in that environment to get the statistical
calculations I need done.  A year ago, I thought since postgresql couldn't
do population standard deviation calculations I'd be able to get that
working with emacs-orgmode even if calc had to be used to get that done.
I was wrong.
This sometimes doesn't mess up my notes when doing outlines and lists but
is no longer suitable for math.

* Re: search for csv utilities
@ 2015-06-01 15:35 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> I have concluded emacs-orgmode spreadsheet is unusable and the amount
> of data is at 400 records now and will grow.

Would you have an ECM so we can inspect where the bottleneck is?

> This sometimes doesn't mess up my notes when doing outlines and lists
> but is no longer suitable for math.

You should report a bug if Org messes up your notes.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: search for csv utilities
@ 2015-06-01 15:42 ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2015-06-01 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Use the right tool for job.

@ 2015-06-02  5:35 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2015-06-02  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 10:36:33 -0400 (EDT)
Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

> I'll be searching for a csv table editor to replace emacs-orgmode.  I
> have concluded emacs-orgmode spreadsheet is unusable and the amount
> of data is at 400 records now and will grow.  I can export to my
> iPhone and use numbers sheets or excel in that environment to get the
> statistical calculations I need done.  A year ago, I thought since
> postgresql couldn't do population standard deviation calculations

Offtopic, but stddev_pop(expression), see
www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-aggregate.html
fifth from the bottom of the page.

Best regards
Robert