* Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-23 10:02 Igor Sosa Mayor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-23 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

often I have to yank 'normal' text, that means, text which is not
indented into a item of a list. In other words, maybe, to convert it
into a list item.

I have always the problem that, when the text over one line goes, it
does not get the correct indentation.

Is there maybe a magical function to get this?

Many thanks in advance!

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-23 15:18 ` Rasmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2014-10-23 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> often I have to yank 'normal' text, that means, text which is not
> indented into a item of a list. In other words, maybe, to convert it
[+]
> into a list item.
>
> I have always the problem that, when the text over one line goes, it
> does not get the correct indentation.
>
> Is there maybe a magical function to get this?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

I usually just do M-^, `delete-indentation' and then M-q, but maybe
there's a better way.

--
C is for Cookie

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-23 15:26   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> I usually just do M-^, `delete-indentation' and then M-q, but maybe
> there's a better way.

thanks! I will give it a try!

--

@ 2014-10-23 15:29 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-10-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-10-23 12:02 Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> often I have to yank 'normal' text, that means, text which is not
> indented into a item of a list. In other words, maybe, to convert it
> into a list item.
>
> I have always the problem that, when the text over one line goes, it
> does not get the correct indentation.
>
> Is there maybe a magical function to get this?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

What is wrong with fill-paragraph (bound to M-q by default)?

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-23 16:01   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

> What is wrong with fill-paragraph (bound to M-q by default)?

nothing, just that it does not do with I want. It works if a yank/paste
something which is pasted as a long line. But if I copy/yank text which
is already wrapped, the list identation is not kept and the item is not
really an item (only maybe the first line).

thanks in any case for your answer!

--

@ 2014-10-24  3:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-10-24  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> often I have to yank 'normal' text, that means, text which is not
> indented into a item of a list. In other words, maybe, to convert it
> into a list item.
>
> I have always the problem that, when the text over one line goes, it
> does not get the correct indentation.
>
> Is there maybe a magical function to get this?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

I don't know what situation in particular you've got, but what often
works for me is going to the line of the yanked text that I want to be
the first line of a new list item, and using "C-c -" to explicitly
convert it to an item. That command includes some indentation heuristics
that, for me anyway, often creates the result I was looking for.

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-24 20:08   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I don't know what situation in particular you've got, but what often
> works for me is going to the line of the yanked text that I want to be
> the first line of a new list item, and using "C-c -" to explicitly
> convert it to an item. That command includes some indentation heuristics
> that, for me anyway, often creates the result I was looking for.

thanks, but I'm to able to get the behaviour I'd like to have...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::
:: jabberid: rogorido  ::                            ::

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-25  1:05 ` Teika Kazura
From: Teika Kazura @ 2014-10-25  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: joseleopoldo1792

Hi, Igor. Below is mine. It's rudimentary, but it may help you.

(defun teika-org-yank (&optional arg)
  "Wrapper of `org-yank', taking care of indenting."
  (interactive)
  (let (p0 p1)
    (when
	(and kill-ring
	     (bolp)
	     (not (equal (substring-no-properties (car kill-ring) 0 1) "*"))
	     (not (equal (buffer-substring-no-properties (point) (1+ (point))) "*" )))
      (setq p0 (point))
      (org-cycle))
    (call-interactively 'org-yank)
    (when p0
      (indent-region p0 (point))
      (unless (eolp)
	(org-cycle)))))

(define-key org-mode-map "\C-y" 'teika-org-yank)
;; Obviously `p1' inside of `let' is not used. Sorry for bad lisp. =P

;; By the way, I have this:
(global-set-key [(shift ?\s )] 'just-one-space)
(global-set-key [(meta ?\s )] 'delete-horizontal-space)
;; You can easily press S-space and M-space with thumbs with my hack in Linux:
;; https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-865313.html
;; (if you have a Japanese keyboard.)

;; I also bind to a key the following, a code fragment of a bigger function.
(progn
  (exchange-point-and-mark)
  (when (or (eq last-command 'yank)
	    (eq last-command 'yank-pop))
    (just-one-space)
    ))
;; I.e., right after yanking, it calls `just-one-space'. Adjust to your use.
In fact, it was a surprise for me that none has answered with a nice implementation. Indent problem irritated me a lot.

Cheers,
Teika (Teika kazura)

* Re: Yank "normal" text as item in list
@ 2014-10-29 14:53   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Teika Kazura <teika@gmx.com> writes:

> Hi, Igor. Below is mine. It's rudimentary, but it may help you.

thanks! I will give it a try and I let you know whether it worked for
me!