* electric-indent-mode in Emacs 25 not indenting in Org
@ 2014-10-16  2:13 William Denton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: William Denton @ 2014-10-16  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I got tired of waiting for prettify-symbols-mode so I compiled Emacs from
source, which gives me version 25.0.50.1 (25 being next after 24.4).

I noticed something odd with electric-indent-mode, which I had enabled, and
which is on by default in 24.4.

If I run Emacs 24.3 (my Ubuntu system default) as emacs -Q, then run M-x
electric-indent-mode to enable the mode, open foo.org, and type

* Heading

then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the H.  That is one of the
things electric-indent-mode does.

But when I run Emacs 25 with emacs -Q, check to make sure electric-indent-mode
is enabled and see that it is because that's the default, open foo.org, and type

* Heading

then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the *!

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: electric-indent-mode in Emacs 25 not indenting in Org
@ 2014-10-16  8:11 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2014-10-16  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello William,

> I got tired of waiting for prettify-symbols-mode so I compiled Emacs
> from source, which gives me version 25.0.50.1 (25 being next after
> 24.4).

This looks like a nice mode.  Thanks for the hint.

> I noticed something odd with electric-indent-mode, which I had
> enabled, and which is on by default in 24.4.
>
> If I run Emacs 24.3 (my Ubuntu system default) as emacs -Q, then run
> M-x
> electric-indent-mode to enable the mode, open foo.org, and type
>
> * Heading
>
> then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the H.  That is one of
> the things electric-indent-mode does.
>
> But when I run Emacs 25 with emacs -Q, check to make sure
> electric-indent-mode is enabled and see that it is because that's the
> default, open foo.org, and type
>
> * Heading
>
> then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the *!

I have the same behavior here.  You may try C-j which yields a cursor
under the H for me.

Best regards,  Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x0A3AE6F2

* Re: electric-indent-mode in Emacs 25 not indenting in Org
@ 2014-10-16 18:40   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-10-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Two people are interested so let me share with you that you may easily have
lots of symbols in this current release of Emacs immediately with

http://melpa.milkbox.net/#/pretty-mode

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: electric-indent-mode in Emacs 25 not indenting in Org
@ 2014-10-20 13:30 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-10-20 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi William,

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> But when I run Emacs 25 with emacs -Q, check to make sure
> electric-indent-mode is enabled and see that it is because that's the
> default, open foo.org, and type
>
> * Heading
>
> then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the *!

What happens if you run M-x electric-indent-mode RET *twice* (to
disable and re-enable it) after you open the buffer?

--
 Bastien

* Re: electric-indent-mode in Emacs 25 not indenting in Org
@ 2014-10-20 14:06   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2014-10-20 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 20 October 2014, Bastien wrote:

>> But when I run Emacs 25 with emacs -Q, check to make sure
>> electric-indent-mode is enabled and see that it is because that's the
>> default, open foo.org, and type
>>
>> * Heading
>>
>> then when I hit return the cursor ends up under the *!
>
> What happens if you run M-x electric-indent-mode RET *twice* (to
> disable and re-enable it) after you open the buffer?

Nothing different---the cursor ends up under the * after I hit return (and under
the H if I hit C-j, as someone else noticed).

Bill
--

@ 2014-10-21 15:11 ` Andrew Burgess
From: Andrew Burgess @ 2014-10-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> [2014-10-15 22:13:16 -0400]:

> I noticed something odd with electric-indent-mode, which I had enabled, and
> which is on by default in 24.4.

I think the problem is with the calls to `newline' within org-return.

The code for `newline' was changed so that non-interactive calls don't
run the post-self-insert-hook, the result is that the
electric-indent-post-self-insert-function is not called.

HTH
Andrew