* day boundaries later than midnight?
@ 2014-02-10  1:14 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2014-02-10  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I found this thread from 2006 which talked about the possibility of
org-agenda considering day boundaries later than midnight:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/369

I'm surely not the only night owls who regularly completes (or even
schedules) tasks after midnight but before going to sleep.  Yes, I
know it's the healthiest way to live - but realistically it would be
far more useful for me if org-agenda treated something like 4am as the
day boundary.  I understand from that thread that supporting this is
technically quite tricky.  Did any progress ever get made on this
front since 2006, and if not, is it ever likely to?

Thanks!
Adam

* Re: day boundaries later than midnight?
@ 2014-02-10  9:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-02-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> writes:

> Did any progress ever get made on this
> front since 2006, and if not, is it ever likely to?

I think this is `org-extend-today-until':

org-extend-today-until is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is 0

Documentation:
The hour when your day really ends.  Must be an integer.
This has influence for the following applications:
- When switching the agenda to "today".  It it is still earlier than
  the time given here, the day recognized as TODAY is actually yesterday.
- When a date is read from the user and it is still before the time given
  here, the current date and time will be assumed to be yesterday, 23:59.
  Also, timestamps inserted in capture templates follow this rule.

IMPORTANT:  This is a feature whose implementation is and likely will
remain incomplete.  Really, it is only here because past midnight seems to
be the favorite working time of John Wiegley :-)

--
 Bastien

* Re: day boundaries later than midnight?
@ 2014-02-10 11:31   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2014-02-10 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:01:38AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> writes:
>
> > Did any progress ever get made on this
> > front since 2006, and if not, is it ever likely to?
>
> I think this is `org-extend-today-until':
>
> org-extend-today-until is a variable defined in `org.el'.
> Its value is 0
>
> Documentation:
> The hour when your day really ends.  Must be an integer.
> This has influence for the following applications:
> - When switching the agenda to "today".  It it is still earlier than
>   the time given here, the day recognized as TODAY is actually yesterday.
> - When a date is read from the user and it is still before the time given
>   here, the current date and time will be assumed to be yesterday, 23:59.
>   Also, timestamps inserted in capture templates follow this rule.

Ahah, that's it - thanks!  I guess I missed it because there's only one
fleeting reference in the "Clocking commands" section of the manual.

> IMPORTANT:  This is a feature whose implementation is and likely will
> remain incomplete.  Really, it is only here because past midnight seems to
> be the favorite working time of John Wiegley :-)

;-)