* How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-03  8:37 Martin Beck
From: Martin Beck @ 2013-10-03  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to get a recent documentation in my org-mode:

I'm using Aquamacs 2.5 on MacOS X, which seems to have org-mode 6.33
"onboard".

I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.

(add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
             (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))

But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
org-manual.

Is the "doc" directory the right one or do I have to download the
documentation separately?
I had downloaded the zipped version from http://orgmode.org/org-8.2.1.zip .

Kind regards

Martin

* How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-03  9:27 M
From: M @ 2013-10-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to get a recent documentation in my org-mode:

I'm using Aquamacs 2.5 on MacOS X, which seems to have org-mode 6.33
"onboard".

I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.

(add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
             (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))

But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
org-manual.

Is the "doc" directory the right one or do I have to download the
documentation separately?
I had downloaded the zipped version from http://orgmode.org/org-8.2.1.zip .

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-03 10:46 ` Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2013-10-03 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
> in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.
>
> (add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
>              (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))
>
> But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
> org-manual.

The following worked for me, however in a different environment (Gentoo
Linux with org-mode 8.2 installed via the package manager).  My Org 8.2
info file ended up in /usr/share/info/org, whereas the one packaged by
Emacs is in /usr/share/info/emacs-24.  I couldn't get the directory
settings in Emacs right, but the following worked:

I created my own info directory and prepended it to the INFOPATH
environment variable:

export INFOPATH="$HOME/.emacs.d/info:$INFOPATH"

In this directory, I created a symlink to the Org 8.2 info:

$ ls -l ~/.emacs.d/info
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 clange clange 19 Sep 14 15:20 org -> /usr/share/info/org

HTH,

Christoph

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701

→ Mathematics in Computer Science Special Issue on “Enabling Domain
  Experts to use Formalised Reasoning”; submission until 31 October.
  http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/pubs/mcs-doform/

* Re: How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-03 11:20   ` M
From: M @ 2013-10-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks a lot!
I found the old versions of the org documentation in the same path
/usr/share/info and replaced them by the new org file from the doc
directory.

Sure, when installing the next version I'll have to think of that, but at
least now it works.

Martin

@ 2013-10-03 12:09     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-10-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

M <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

> thanks a lot!
> I found the old versions of the org documentation in the same path
> /usr/share/info and replaced them by the new org file from the doc
> directory.

Also Mac, but using emacs from homebrew

,----
| GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.39) of 2013-09-05 on Rainers-MacBook-Pro.local
`----

I followed this with interest, as I have the same problem. Replacing the
file with a link, worked for the help via the org-mode menu, but I can't
find it in the top level of the info files. Is there anything I have to
do in addition?

My Info-directory-list is as follow:
,----
| ("/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.87" "/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20130902.311" "/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20130902.1802" "/usr/local/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
`----

and I have the org info file in /usr/local/info :

,----
| $ ls /usr/share/info/or*
| /usr/share/info/org		/usr/share/info/org-1.bak	/usr/share/info/org-2.bak	/usr/share/info/org.bak
`----

Even before putting the link in, the org info was not in the top level
info.

Any suggestions? As far as I though, info would scan the directories to
generate the info tree?

> Sure, when installing the next version I'll have to think of that, but at
> least now it works.

I have a link in my .emacs.d (named org-mode) which I link to the latest
version in separate directories (org-VERSIONNUMBER ang org-git). So I
can easily switch, and the link would stay there.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Martin
>

>> Von: Christoph LANGE <math.semantic.web@gmail.com>
>> Datum: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:46:39 +0100
>> An: M <Elwood151@web.de>
>> Betreff: Re: [O] How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?

>>> I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
>>> in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
>>>              (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))
>>>
>>> But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
>>> org-manual.
>>
>> The following worked for me, however in a different environment (Gentoo
>> Linux with org-mode 8.2 installed via the package manager).  My Org 8.2
>> info file ended up in /usr/share/info/org, whereas the one packaged by
>> Emacs is in /usr/share/info/emacs-24.  I couldn't get the directory
>> settings in Emacs right, but the following worked:
>>
>> I created my own info directory and prepended it to the INFOPATH
>> environment variable:
>>
>> export INFOPATH="$HOME/.emacs.d/info:$INFOPATH"
>>
>> In this directory, I created a symlink to the Org 8.2 info:
>>
>> $ ls -l ~/.emacs.d/info
>> total 0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 clange clange 19 Sep 14 15:20 org -> /usr/share/info/org
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Christoph
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Lange, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham
>> http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701
>>
>> → Mathematics in Computer Science Special Issue on “Enabling Domain
>>   Experts to use Formalised Reasoning”; submission until 31 October.
>>   http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/pubs/mcs-doform/

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Rainer M. Krug

email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com

* Re: How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-04  4:39 ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2013-10-04  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Beck <Martin.Beck@macbay.de> writes:

> I tried to get a recent documentation in my org-mode:
>
> I'm using Aquamacs 2.5 on MacOS X, which seems to have org-mode 6.33
> "onboard".
>
> I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
> in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.
>
> (add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
>              (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))
>
> But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
> org-manual.
>
> Is the "doc" directory the right one or do I have to download the
> documentation separately?
> I had downloaded the zipped version from http://orgmode.org/org-8.2.1.zip .

Here is a thread which discussed this issue extensively.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/71129

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
@ 2013-10-04  8:17   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-10-04  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:09:49AM +0530, Noorul Islam K M wrote:
> Martin Beck <Martin.Beck@macbay.de> writes:
>
> > I tried to get a recent documentation in my org-mode:
> >
> > I'm using Aquamacs 2.5 on MacOS X, which seems to have org-mode 6.33
> > "onboard".
> >
> > I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
> > in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.
> >
> > (add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
> >              (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))
> >
> > But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
> > org-manual.
> >
> > Is the "doc" directory the right one or do I have to download the
> > documentation separately?
> > I had downloaded the zipped version from http://orgmode.org/org-8.2.1.zip .
> >

> Here is a thread which discussed this issue extensively.
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/71129

The FAQ has an entry:

<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#update-info-manual-to-latest>

--