* Disabling TODO entries in a subtree
@ 2013-10-03 19:32 Marcin Borkowski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-03 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Orgers,

I work as an editorial assistant for a journal (together with a
friend).  We get LaTeX files of articles, and have to convert them to
our template, do some proof-reading and corrections, send galleys to
authors etc.  It is convenient to have a TODO Org tree for each paper,
with TODO subheadings for all these activities.  Thus, I created a tree
called "Paper template" with all these TODO entries and copy it as
needed.  However, I do not want them to show up an the agenda's todo
list.  Is there a possibility to "disable" a tree, so that no its
subheadings appear in the global todo list?

If not, it's not a huge problem for me - I'll just write a small elisp
function inserting my template - but if it's not possible, maybe (and
this is a huge maybe!) such a feature is worth adding to Org-mode?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Disabling TODO entries in a subtree
@ 2013-10-03 19:45 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-10-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi Orgers,
>
> I work as an editorial assistant for a journal (together with a
> friend).  We get LaTeX files of articles, and have to convert them to
> our template, do some proof-reading and corrections, send galleys to
> authors etc.  It is convenient to have a TODO Org tree for each paper,
> with TODO subheadings for all these activities.  Thus, I created a tree
> called "Paper template" with all these TODO entries and copy it as
> needed.  However, I do not want them to show up an the agenda's todo
> list.  Is there a possibility to "disable" a tree, so that no its
> subheadings appear in the global todo list?

Custom agenda that excludes certain tags? Perhaps there's a way to
propagate some tag to the contents of the tree? Then exclude any items
with that tag?

Just a thought,
John

@ 2013-10-03 21:55   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-10-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3.10.2013, at 21:45, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>> Hi Orgers,
>>
>> I work as an editorial assistant for a journal (together with a
>> friend).  We get LaTeX files of articles, and have to convert them to
>> our template, do some proof-reading and corrections, send galleys to
>> authors etc.  It is convenient to have a TODO Org tree for each paper,
>> with TODO subheadings for all these activities.  Thus, I created a tree
>> called "Paper template" with all these TODO entries and copy it as
>> needed.  However, I do not want them to show up an the agenda's todo
>> list.  Is there a possibility to "disable" a tree, so that no its
>> subheadings appear in the global todo list?
>
> Custom agenda that excludes certain tags? Perhaps there's a way to
> propagate some tag to the contents of the tree? Then exclude any items
> with that tag?

To exclude a specific TODO keyword or so, you can try agenda filters.
Check them out in the manual and in also check out the variable
org-agenda-tag-filter-preset.

To exclude a specific tree, you can try to tag the tree with the ARCHIVE
tag.

- Carsten

> Just a thought,
> John
>

>> If not, it's not a huge problem for me - I'll just write a small elisp
>> function inserting my template - but if it's not possible, maybe (and
>> this is a huge maybe!) such a feature is worth adding to Org-mode?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Marcin Borkowski
>> http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
>> Adam Mickiewicz University

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Disabling TODO entries in a subtree
@ 2013-10-03 22:01 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-10-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:32:24PM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> list.  Is there a possibility to "disable" a tree, so that no its
> subheadings appear in the global todo list?

Did you try archiving the whole tree?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Disabling TODO entries in a subtree
@ 2013-10-04  3:24 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-04  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-03, o godz. 21:32:24
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

> Hi Orgers,
>
> I work as an editorial assistant for a journal (together with a
> friend).  We get LaTeX files of articles, and have to convert them to
> our template, do some proof-reading and corrections, send galleys to
> authors etc.  It is convenient to have a TODO Org tree for each paper,
> with TODO subheadings for all these activities.  Thus, I created a
> tree called "Paper template" with all these TODO entries and copy it
> as needed.  However, I do not want them to show up an the agenda's
> todo list.  Is there a possibility to "disable" a tree, so that no its
> subheadings appear in the global todo list?
>
> If not, it's not a huge problem for me - I'll just write a small elisp
> function inserting my template - but if it's not possible, maybe (and
> this is a huge maybe!) such a feature is worth adding to Org-mode?

And now for something completely different;):

I sent my email, then went asleep.  I woke half an hour ago, and a
thought occured to me: checkboxes.  And now a little game: I wonder how
many of the answers I got mentioned this idea;).

--

@ 2013-10-04  3:27   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-04  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-04, o godz. 05:24:45
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

> I sent my email, then went asleep.  I woke half an hour ago, and a
> thought occured to me: checkboxes.  And now a little game: I wonder
> how many of the answers I got mentioned this idea;).

Wow, /now/ I'm impressed!  None of them did.  Org features are like the
Spanish Inquisition!

Thank you, guys!