* Build-System: Why not compile contrib
@ 2013-05-25 14:19 Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2013-05-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

I'm using the maint branch of org-mode and lately I discovered that
the files beneath contrib are not compiled and there seems to be no
easy way (e.g. via local.mk) to enable compilation of contrib. Is this
on purpose and if yes: why?

--
Stefan.

* Re: Build-System: Why not compile contrib
@ 2013-05-25 23:45 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-25 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stefan,

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 04:19:27PM +0200, Stefan Nobis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using the maint branch of org-mode and lately I discovered that
> the files beneath contrib are not compiled and there seems to be no
> easy way (e.g. via local.mk) to enable compilation of contrib. Is this
> on purpose and if yes: why?

<http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-2>

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Build-System: Why not compile contrib
@ 2013-05-26  8:25   ` Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2013-05-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> <http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-2>

> Hope this helps,

A little bit. I already know about ORG_ADD_CONTRIB, but I thought it
would only be used by `make install' and I do not install org-mode, I
use it directly from my local repository (running `make update' or
`make up1' from time to time; org-mode/lisp and org-mode/contrib/lisp
are both in my load-path).

I dug a bit deeper into the Makefiles and now I realized that files
defined by ORG_ADD_CONTRIB will be copied to the main lisp directory
and then everything is compiled. Just removing org-mode/contrib/lisp
from my load-path and only using org-mode/lisp is enough.

The only unaethetic thing left is that now git sees all those files
from contrib/lisp copied to lisp as new untracked files (but that does
not bother me too much).

--
Until the next mail...,

@ 2013-05-26 17:01     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-26 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stefan Nobis writes:
> A little bit. I already know about ORG_ADD_CONTRIB, but I thought it
> would only be used by `make install' and I do not install org-mode, I
> use it directly from my local repository (running `make update' or
> `make up1' from time to time; org-mode/lisp and org-mode/contrib/lisp
> are both in my load-path).
>
> I dug a bit deeper into the Makefiles and now I realized that files
> defined by ORG_ADD_CONTRIB will be copied to the main lisp directory
> and then everything is compiled. Just removing org-mode/contrib/lisp
> from my load-path and only using org-mode/lisp is enough.
>
> The only unaethetic thing left is that now git sees all those files
> from contrib/lisp copied to lisp as new untracked files (but that does
> not bother me too much).

Then get over it and install it someplace (even in …/install in the
source directory, if you must), usingthe target "up2".

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Build-System: Why not compile contrib
@ 2013-05-26 21:58       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-26 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 07:01:54PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Stefan Nobis writes:
> >
> > The only unaethetic thing left is that now git sees all those files
> > from contrib/lisp copied to lisp as new untracked files (but that does
> > not bother me too much).
>

> Then get over it and install it someplace (even in …/install in the
> source directory, if you must), usingthe target "up2".

The OP could also set this:

  $ git config status.showuntrackedfiles no

--
Suvayu