* How to install latest Org-mode?
@ 2013-05-14 17:52 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering what
method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04), but I plan
to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2) upgrade to Emacs
24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs and install my own,
though rather not from sources, but from a .deb package).

So, my requirements would be:

* I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
  Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode 7.8.02).

* I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
  hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
  upgrade later.

I'm leaning towards cloning the git repo and building Org-mode from
sources.  From http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html I can see
that what I should do is more or less

cd ~/src/
git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
make autoloads
echo (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp") >> ~/.emacs
make
make doc
make config
make install

Is that right?  Is using the archive or the package system a better
idea in my described case?  What does upgrading Org-from-git-repo look
like?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to install latest Org-mode?
@ 2013-05-14 18:52 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-14 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski writes:
> * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
>   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
>   upgrade later.

I'd suggest using ELPA, but if you rather want to go the Git route, read
on.

> I'm leaning towards cloning the git repo and building Org-mode from
> sources.  From http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html I can see
> that what I should do is more or less
>
> cd ~/src/
> git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> make autoloads
> echo (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp") >> ~/.emacs
> make
> make doc
> make config
> make install
>
> Is that right?

No. The most painless setup would be:

$ cd ~/src/
$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
$ git checkout maint
$ make config

Check if the installation paths are pointing to where you want them (it
should work out-of-the box, but Debian based systems might prefer to
have some stuff in different directories), maybe adapt them in local.mk
and edit ~/.emacs to require org-loaddefs.  From then on always do

$ make up2

to pull the latest version, compile and test it and only install if the
test is good.

> Is using the archive or the package system a better
> idea in my described case?  What does upgrading Org-from-git-repo look
> like?

See above.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: How to install latest Org-mode?
@ 2013-05-14 20:26   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 20:52:06
Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> napisał(a):

> Marcin Borkowski writes:
> > * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
> >   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
> >   upgrade later.
>
> I'd suggest using ELPA, but if you rather want to go the Git route,
> read on.

Thanks a lot!  I took the risk, deleted Emacs 23, installed Emacs 24
and used ELPA.  Surprisingly, the transition went almost 100% smoothly
(the only problem in my .emacs was something with yasnippet, which
could be corrected in 3 minutes!).

Now my question is: how do I update Org using ELPA?  (I have the latest
version from there now, but development continues, I guess;).)

> Regards,
> Achim.

Best,

--

@ 2013-05-14 20:57     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski writes:
> Now my question is: how do I update Org using ELPA?  (I have the latest
> version from there now, but development continues, I guess;).)

You select "Manage Emacs Packages" from the Options menu (or enter M-x
package-list-packages) and then press "U".  It'll select all upgradeable
packages for installation, to be actually installed with "i".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: How to install latest Org-mode?
@ 2013-05-14 21:15       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 22:57:55
Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> napisał(a):

> Marcin Borkowski writes:
> > Now my question is: how do I update Org using ELPA?  (I have the
> > latest version from there now, but development continues, I
> > guess;).)
>
> You select "Manage Emacs Packages" from the Options menu (or enter M-x
> package-list-packages) and then press "U".  It'll select all
> upgradeable packages for installation, to be actually installed with
> "i".

Thanks a lot, /especially/ for the M-x package-list-packages hint -
I've had my menu disabled for ages, at first I started to wonder "what
menu?  There's no such thing in Emacs!" ;)

> Regards,
> Achim.

Best,

--

@ 2013-05-14 21:38 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-05-14 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering what
> method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04), but I plan
> to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2) upgrade to Emacs
> 24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs and install my own,
> though rather not from sources, but from a .deb package).
>
> So, my requirements would be:
>
> * I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
>   Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode 7.8.02).
>
> * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
>   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
>   upgrade later.

My vote is for git. No middleman (with someone pushing an updated
package) = less things that can potentially go wrong. I've taken to
this for LaTeX as well vs. Arch Linux's distribution. Just my vote,
though! Updating takes < 5min, and 95% of that is just waiting for git
to clone, probably because I primarily use Org at work and can't clone
over git protocol behind my firewall. http is slower.

John

@ 2013-05-14 22:15   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 16:38:08
John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering
> > what method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04),
> > but I plan to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2)
> > upgrade to Emacs 24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs
> > and install my own, though rather not from sources, but from a .deb
> > package).
> >
> > So, my requirements would be:
> >
> > * I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
> >   Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode
> > 7.8.02).
> >
> > * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
> >   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
> >   upgrade later.
>
> My vote is for git. No middleman (with someone pushing an updated
> package) = less things that can potentially go wrong. I've taken to
> this for LaTeX as well vs. Arch Linux's distribution. Just my vote,
> though! Updating takes < 5min, and 95% of that is just waiting for git
> to clone, probably because I primarily use Org at work and can't clone
> over git protocol behind my firewall. http is slower.

Too late;).  Though I generally agree.  And for LaTeX: Ubuntu packages
are usually quite old.  I usually (once a year) install TeXlive from an
installation dvd (I receive it by mail each year as a users' group
member;)).  And once a year is way too rarely for ConTeXt (another
TeX-based document preparation system, with many things /much/ better
than LaTeX), which is updated more or less once a month or so.

> John

Best,

--

@ 2013-05-14 22:30     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-05-14 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 16:38:08
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Marcin Borkowski
>> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>> > Hi list,
>> >
>> > I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering
>> > what method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04),
>> > but I plan to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2)
>> > upgrade to Emacs 24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs
>> > and install my own, though rather not from sources, but from a .deb
>> > package).
>> >
>> > So, my requirements would be:
>> >
>> > * I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
>> >   Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode
>> > 7.8.02).
>> >
>> > * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
>> >   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
>> >   upgrade later.
>>
>> My vote is for git. No middleman (with someone pushing an updated
>> package) = less things that can potentially go wrong. I've taken to
>> this for LaTeX as well vs. Arch Linux's distribution. Just my vote,
>> though! Updating takes < 5min, and 95% of that is just waiting for git
>> to clone, probably because I primarily use Org at work and can't clone
>> over git protocol behind my firewall. http is slower.
>
> Too late;).  Though I generally agree.  And for LaTeX: Ubuntu packages
> are usually quite old.  I usually (once a year) install TeXlive from an
> installation dvd (I receive it by mail each year as a users' group
> member;)).  And once a year is way too rarely for ConTeXt (another
> TeX-based document preparation system, with many things /much/ better
> than LaTeX), which is updated more or less once a month or so.

I figured, but wanted to chime in anyway :) I've moved to default
TexLive, which has been surprisingly easy after the initial install.

Good luck with ELPA, and I won't hold it against you!

John

@ 2013-05-14 22:37       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-14 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 17:30:30
John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> > Too late;).  Though I generally agree.  And for LaTeX: Ubuntu
> > packages are usually quite old.  I usually (once a year) install
> > TeXlive from an installation dvd (I receive it by mail each year as
> > a users' group member;)).  And once a year is way too rarely for
> > ConTeXt (another TeX-based document preparation system, with many
> > things /much/ better than LaTeX), which is updated more or less
> > once a month or so.
> >

> I figured, but wanted to chime in anyway :) I've moved to default
> TexLive, which has been surprisingly easy after the initial install.

Yes.  And one of the nice things (from the standpoint of a LaTeX
package/class developer) is that you can download, install and easily
switch between different (older and newer) versions of TeXlive.

> Good luck with ELPA, and I won't hold it against you!

Thanks:)!