* Inserting multiple images side-by-side in way that's compatible with multiple exporters
@ 2013-03-26 15:57 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-03-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

Writing some reports at the moment and sometimes want to condense
plots (which might have earned a full width place in a presentation or
focus document) down to smaller versions for these sort of bi-annual
summary reports. I like to put them two-wide and, since I don't know
another way, have been doing this:

#+attr_latex: :align cc
| <15>            | <15>            |
| \includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{./plot.png} |
\includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{./plot.png} |
| /Title/ | /Title/ |
| \vspace{0.25cm} |                 |
| \includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{./plot.png} |
\includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{./plot.png} |
| /Title/ | /Title/ |

This is fine when I'm the only report author (and typically am
exporting to LaTeX), but this one requires me to export my share to
ODT -> Word and then provide to the project lead so he can compile the
full report. Is there a way I could do the above in a more
"universally Org" way so that multiple export formats would work?

Org-tables seems like a decent option since it would be compatible
with many exporters, but I don't know how to pass it the
=#+attr_backend :width = options I would if they were just inserted
separately.

A LaTeX specific post on the mailing list suggested this, which mostly
gives me what I want:[1]

#+attr_latex: :align p{0.3\textwidth}p{0.3\textwidth}
| [[./plot.png]] | [[./plot.png]] |
| /Title/ | /Title/ |

The caption text is no longer centered, and I don't believe there's a
c{} analog to p{}. I could live with that if I gained the
multi-backend compatibility I'm looking for.

This works for LaTeX, but I'm not sure how to either:
1) to set a ~col width="Xpx"~ for html export or some sort of width
for ODT images contained in columns (the table itself looks like it
gets a 50/50 split width, but the images aren't scaled to fit)
2) Insert some of these #+attr_backend options into the table somehow,
or universally apply them to all images in the table

Thanks for suggestions!
John

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2012-03/msg00108.html

* Re: Inserting multiple images side-by-side in way that's compatible with multiple exporters
@ 2013-03-26 20:15 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-03-26, o godz. 10:57:29
John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Greetings,
>

> Writing some reports at the moment and sometimes want to condense
> plots (which might have earned a full width place in a presentation or
> focus document) down to smaller versions for these sort of bi-annual
> summary reports. I like to put them two-wide and, since I don't know
> another way, have been doing this:

Not really an answer, but a suggestion (I don't use Org's export, so I
don't know almost anything about it): on LaTeX side, you should
definitely check out the "subfig" package.  (/Not/ "subfigure", which
was an older version by the same author!)  I don't know about ODT,
though.

Just type texdoc subfig at the terminal (at least this is how it works
on Linux).

Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University