* Pattern of global/file/headings variables/settings
@ 2013-09-25 12:56 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-09-25 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I wonder how Org-mode turned out as it is with regard to settings
that could be done in .emacs (user), as file-local ones (file), or
with properties (heading).

As an example:

[1] mentions:
     #+startup: beamer
     #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
     #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
     #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

I could find "EXPORT_LATEX_CLASS" and "EXPORT_LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS"
using full-text search in [2]. However, I was not able to locate any
property which relates to #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL, e.g.

So: what is the pattern here? Which setting goes to setq (user),
#+FOO (file), :PROPERTY: (heading)?

I assume that every additional possibility (of the three) relates to
manual effort to be implemented. Right?

If not: why can't there be a general pattern where a user can assume
that #+foo (file) can be applied as :FOO: (heading) as well?

Background: I do not want to create a whole new Org-mode file for
just one single beamer presentation. I love it when I can keep *all*
relevant data within its project heading, wherever that might be
located in my (few) Org-mode files. Thus, as a sub-heading of
business.org > projects > customerA > reports > final-report I want
to add my beamer presentation data as well.

Thanks for clarifying!

  1. http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html
  2. http://orgmode.org/org.html
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Pattern of global/file/headings variables/settings
@ 2013-09-25 14:10 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-25 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

Hi,

> I wonder how Org-mode turned out as it is with regard to settings

> If not: why can't there be a general pattern where a user can assume
> that #+foo (file) can be applied as :FOO: (heading) as well?

and I wonder why

,----------------------
| #+ATTR_HTML: :foo bar
`----------------------

on top of a table becomes a ':attr_html' attribute of the table 's
property list, but the same thing on top of a headline becomes a
(keyword ...) that belongs to the section preceding the headline - when
parsing the buffer with `org-element-parse-buffer'.

I would have expected that all affiliated keywords with the pattern

| #+ATTR_<<backend>>: :foo bar

directly on top of an element are converted to attributes of the element
they are attached to, no matter what <<backend>> actually looks like
(or, at least, when <<backend>> is listed in `org-export-backends' or
`org-export--registered-backends' or so).

--
cheers,
Thorsten