* error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-04 23:48 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-04 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am having trouble in using org-exp-bibtex.el on debian sid. I was
unable to install bibtex2html through the package manager because of
dependency problem with ocaml-base-nox-3.12.1. I then installed ocaml
separately, and compiled bibtex2html from source. Now, bibtex2html is
working fine from the command line.

But when I export a file having bibtex citations, orgmode complains
saying "Execution of bibtex2html failed". It seemed to me that orgmode
was unable to find bibtex2html. bibtex2html is installed in
/usr/local/bin/bibtex2html. Since it was not being found, I also
myself created a symlink to /usr/bin.bibtex2html. But that does not
help either.

My orgmode version is 7.9.2

Could anyone suggest what to do.

Thanks,

Vikas

* error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-05 20:49 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-05 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2012-11-05 20:54 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-05 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I am having trouble in using org-exp-bibtex.el on debian sid. I was unable
to install bibtex2html through the package manager because of dependency
problem with ocaml-base-nox-3.12.1. I then installed ocaml separately, and
compiled bibtex2html from source. Now,  bibtex2html is working fine from
the command line.

But when I export a file having bibtex citations, orgmode complains saying
"Execution of bibtex2html failed". It seemed to me that orgmode was unable
to find bibtex2html. bibtex2html is installed
in /usr/local/bin/bibtex2html. Since it was not being found, I also
myself created a symlink to /usr/bin.bibtex2html. But that does not help
either.

My orgmode version is 7.9.2

Could anyone suggest what to do.

Thanks,

Vikas

* Re: error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-06 16:43 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-11-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 05:54:47AM +0900, Vikas Rawal wrote:

> But when I export a file having bibtex citations, orgmode complains saying
> "Execution of bibtex2html failed". It seemed to me that orgmode was unable
> to find bibtex2html. bibtex2html is installed
> in /usr/local/bin/bibtex2html. Since it was not being found, I also
> myself created a symlink to /usr/bin.bibtex2html. But that does not help
> either.

Just a couple of obvious suggestions; are you sure bibtex2html is in
your path when you launch Emacs?  Maybe adding /usr/local/bin to your
PATH will do the trick.  I would put such modifications in
~/bash_profile (assuming you use bash as shell), logout and login before
trying again.

The symlink you created, is it really /usr/bin.bibtex2html or is that a
typo?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-06 21:09   ` Vikas Rawal
       [not found]     ` <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-06 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Just a couple of obvious suggestions; are you sure bibtex2html is in
> your path when you launch Emacs?  Maybe adding /usr/local/bin to your
> PATH will do the trick.  I would put such modifications in
> ~/bash_profile (assuming you use bash as shell), logout and login before
> trying again.
>
> The symlink you created, is it really /usr/bin.bibtex2html or is that a
> typo?

Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin. So that should not
be a problem. But somehow org-exp-bibtex.el cannot find it. I wonder
if org-exp-bibtex has the path hard-coded into it! Or something else?

@ 2012-11-06 21:23       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-11-06 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> > Just a couple of obvious suggestions; are you sure bibtex2html is in
> > your path when you launch Emacs?  Maybe adding /usr/local/bin to your
> > PATH will do the trick.  I would put such modifications in
> > ~/bash_profile (assuming you use bash as shell), logout and login before
> > trying again.
> >
> > The symlink you created, is it really /usr/bin.bibtex2html or is that a
> > typo?
>
> Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
> bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin. So that should not
> be a problem. But somehow org-exp-bibtex.el cannot find it. I wonder
> if org-exp-bibtex has the path hard-coded into it! Or something else?

Depending on how it is started, emacs may have a different idea of PATH
than bash. Check in emacs with (getenv "PATH") or by starting a shell
M-x shell and trying to run bibtex2html from there. org-exp-bibtex.el
does not hard code the path afaict, so if the above succeeds, then it
should succeed as well.

Nick

@ 2012-11-06 21:24     ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-11-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikas Rawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Vikas,

Vikas Rawal writes:

>> Just a couple of obvious suggestions; are you sure bibtex2html is in
>> your path when you launch Emacs?  Maybe adding /usr/local/bin to your
>> PATH will do the trick.  I would put such modifications in
>> ~/bash_profile (assuming you use bash as shell), logout and login before
>> trying again.
>>
>> The symlink you created, is it really /usr/bin.bibtex2html or is that a
>> typo?
>
> Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
> bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin.

What does 'which bibtex2html' show?

> So that should not be a problem. But somehow org-exp-bibtex.el cannot
> find it. I wonder if org-exp-bibtex has the path hard-coded into it!
> Or something else?
>
> Vikas

Myles

* Re: error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-06 21:26   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-06 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 05:43:32PM +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 05:54:47AM +0900, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> >
> > But when I export a file having bibtex citations, orgmode complains saying
> > "Execution of bibtex2html failed". It seemed to me that orgmode was unable
> > to find bibtex2html. bibtex2html is installed
> > in /usr/local/bin/bibtex2html. Since it was not being found, I also
> > myself created a symlink to /usr/bin.bibtex2html. But that does not help
> > either.
> >

> Just a couple of obvious suggestions; are you sure bibtex2html is in
> your path when you launch Emacs?  Maybe adding /usr/local/bin to your
> PATH will do the trick.  I would put such modifications in
> ~/bash_profile (assuming you use bash as shell), logout and login before
> trying again.
>
> The symlink you created, is it really /usr/bin.bibtex2html or is that a
> typo?

Also, the latex export works fine. So bibtex and my #+BIBLIOGRAPHY are
ok.

@ 2012-11-07  2:57       ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-07  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> > Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
> > bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin.
>
> What does 'which bibtex2html' show?

from within M-x shell:

*****

[11:53:47][0][source]# bibtex2html
This is bibtex2html version 1.97, compiled on Mon Nov 5 07:16:12 JST
2012
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 Jean-Christophe Filliâtre and Claude Marché
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY (use option
--warranty)

Reading from standard input...
  C-c C-c
[11:54:26][130][source]# which bibtex2html
/usr/local/bin/bibtex2html

*****

@ 2012-11-07  3:24         ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-11-07  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Vikas,

On 11月 07 2012, Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

>> > Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
>> > bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin.
>>
>> What does 'which bibtex2html' show?
>>

> from within M-x shell:

As Nick said in his previous mail, if the shell has executable in its path
doesn't ensure emacs to find it.

in your emacs,
M-: (executable-find "bibtex2html")

to see whether emacs can find the executable, if it doesn't, add the following
in your .emacs

(add-to-list 'exec-path "/path/to/your/bibtex2html/")

Hope that helps.,
Thanks
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: error: Execution of bibtex2html
@ 2012-11-07  3:51         ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-11-07  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> > Sorry, that was a typo. I am able to directly run bibtex2html from the
> > bash shell prompt. ECHO $PATH shows /usr/local/bin. So that should not
> > be a problem. But somehow org-exp-bibtex.el cannot find it. I wonder
> > if org-exp-bibtex has the path hard-coded into it! Or something else?

The problem was with my setup of bibtex2html.

I needed to change /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf and replace "openout_any =
p" with "openout_any = a".

I found this at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=8140

Thanks everyone for help.

@ 2012-11-07  4:10           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-11-07  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> >> What does 'which bibtex2html' show?
> >>

> > from within M-x shell:
>
> As Nick said in his previous mail, if the shell has executable in its path
> doesn't ensure emacs to find it.

As an amendment to my previous note, normally, if the shell inside emacs
can find the executable, then emacs should be able to find it too. There
are some abnormal situations however (e.g. defining PATH in .bashrc or
equiv - yecchh) that would cause the shell to find it whereas emacs would
not be able to. So Yagnesh is correct in asking for more checking.

Nick