* Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer
@ 2012-07-27  1:30 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-07-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi Nicolas and others,

In the old beamer backend it was possible to provide a subtitle by
having a headline like this:

* Frame title \\ frame subtitle

In the new exporter this feature seems to be missing. Can this be added?

As an ECM, you can subtree export the attached org file. The old
exporter would export the text following the \\ be exported inside a
\framesubtitle{..}. I guess the new exporter can just put the text
inside a second curly braces. So the exported LaTeX for the above
headline could be:

\begin{frame}{Frame title}{frame subtitle}
\end{frame}

Thanks a lot,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer
@ 2012-07-27  1:33 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-07-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Oops! Forgot to attach the ECM. :-p

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:30:01AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi Nicolas and others,
>
> In the old beamer backend it was possible to provide a subtitle by
> having a headline like this:
>
> * Frame title \\ frame subtitle
>
> In the new exporter this feature seems to be missing. Can this be added?
>
> As an ECM, you can subtree export the attached org file. The old
> exporter would export the text following the \\ be exported inside a
> \framesubtitle{..}. I guess the new exporter can just put the text
> inside a second curly braces. So the exported LaTeX for the above
> headline could be:
>
> \begin{frame}{Frame title}{frame subtitle}
> \end{frame}
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> --
> Suvayu

Suvayu

[-- Attachment #2: bug.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1064 bytes --]

* Lifetime acceptance WG update
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EXPORT_LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
  :EXPORT_LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation,smaller]
  :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: WG_update.pdf
  :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Suvayu Ali (Nikhef)
  :EXPORT_DATE: 05 June, 2012
  :EXPORT_OPTIONS: H:1 num:nil toc:nil \n:nil @:t ::t |:t ^:{} -:t f:t *:t <:t
  :END:

** Lifetime acceptance fitted to powerlaw \\ subtitle
When t \textgreater{} 0.2 ps or t - t$_0$ \textgreater{} 0
\(a_{trig}(t)\), 0 otherwise.
#+begin_latex
  \begin{equation*}
     a_{trig}(t) = 1 - \frac{1}{1+(a(t-t_0))^3}
  \end{equation*}
#+end_latex

** Issues \\ woot
+ Large correlation:
  #+begin_example
    PARAMETER  CORRELATION COEFFICIENTS
          NO.  GLOBAL      1      2
           1  0.94798   1.000  0.948
           2  0.94798   0.948  1.000
  #+end_example

+ Work in progress:
  1. Trying alternate parametrisations like +Error function+
  2. Try *binned acceptance* function

* Re: Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer
@ 2012-07-27 11:30 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-27 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hello,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> In the old beamer backend it was possible to provide a subtitle by
> having a headline like this:
>
> * Frame title \\ frame subtitle
>
> In the new exporter this feature seems to be missing. Can this be
> added?

I didn't include this "feature" because I wasn't comfortable with
introducing a new syntax specific to one back-end only.

It's just a matter of doing:

* Frame title

  #+BEAMER: \framesubtitle{subtitle}

Otherwise, headlines could support a :BEAMER_SUBTITLE: property which
would just do that.

What do you think about it?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer
@ 2012-07-27 11:53   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-07-27 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 01:30:51PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In the old beamer backend it was possible to provide a subtitle by
> > having a headline like this:
> >
> > * Frame title \\ frame subtitle
> >
> > In the new exporter this feature seems to be missing. Can this be
> > added?
>
> I didn't include this "feature" because I wasn't comfortable with
> introducing a new syntax specific to one back-end only.

I think that is a fair argument.

> It's just a matter of doing:

> * Frame title
>
>   #+BEAMER: \framesubtitle{subtitle}

This is how I worked around recently. This has a downside though, it
doesn't let you easily use markup in the subtitle (in my case I wanted
to use =keyword=). Of course this can be resolved by putting in by hand.

> Otherwise, headlines could support a :BEAMER_SUBTITLE: property which
> would just do that.

Same goes here, but I would say the #+BEAMER: solution is better in
comparison. A subtitle is still part of the title, that means it
probably should be easily visible.

Given my above comment about visibility, one might then argue having a
#+BEAMER: line does not serve that purpose either when the headline is
folded. I'm not sure what is more important here, consistency between
backends[1] or readability/usability(?). It would be interesting to hear
what others think about this.

Hopefully I was clear.

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] IMO, an important reason for using org is backend agnostic markup.

--
Suvayu