* emacs org mode publish to latex failed with strings like "__aaa_cc__"
@ 2012-05-16 11:16 Xu Jingtao
From: Xu Jingtao @ 2012-05-16 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all:

If I write some string like "__aaa_cc__" in org file,then publish it to pdf using latex,
it will failed and the output is wrong.

even I can use ~__aaa_cc__~, it's not a good way do it.

Can you fix it or I am wrong?
___________________________________
With Best Regards.
jingtao.

* Re: emacs org mode publish to latex failed with strings like "__aaa_cc__"
@ 2012-05-17  3:38 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-17  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Jingtao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> If I write some string like "__aaa_cc__" in org file,then publish it to pdf using latex,
> it will failed and the output is wrong.
>
> even I can use ~__aaa_cc__~, it's not a good way do it.
>
> Can you fix it or I am wrong?

By default, underscores indicate subscripts (a tradition that comes from
LaTeX syntax - similarly, carets indicate superscripts). If you don't
want that, you can add

at the top of the file: this option disables superscripts and subscripts.

See

	 (info "(org) Export options")

Nick

* Re: emacs org mode publish to latex failed with strings like "__aaa_cc__"
@ 2012-05-18 11:41   ` Xu Jingtao
From: Xu Jingtao @ 2012-05-18 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick:

I had added the option to my org file.

What I want to ensure is that this is maybe a bug of emacs org mode.

I know "_a string_" will try to convert to underline string in latex,
by emacs variable org-export-latex-emphasis-alist.
Maybe this is why it is translated into wrong latex codes.

___________________________________

@ 2012-05-18 11:54     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-18 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Jingtao; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> writes:

> What I want to ensure is that this is maybe a bug of emacs org mode.
>
> I know "_a string_" will try to convert to underline string in latex,
> by emacs variable org-export-latex-emphasis-alist.
> Maybe this is why it is translated into wrong latex codes.

Why is it wrong LaTeX code? You're asking Org to put an underline there,
and there you have.

Nevertheless, I think it would be useful to have an entity for
underscore character. Something like:

  ("us" "\\_" nil "_" "_" "_" "_")

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: emacs org mode publish to latex failed with strings like "__aaa_cc__"
@ 2012-05-18 11:56     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-18 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Jingtao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick:
>
> I had added the option to my org file.
>
> What I want to ensure is that this is maybe a bug of emacs org mode.
>
> I know "_a string_" will try to convert to underline string in latex,
> by emacs variable org-export-latex-emphasis-alist.
> Maybe this is why it is translated into wrong latex codes.

Ah, OK - the problem is that no matter how the option is set, the output
still leads to latex errors and no PDF is produced (at least with the
old exporter - I haven't tried with ngz's new one, but that woule be a
good experiment to try).

Now that I've tried it, I think you are right: it is a bug in the old
exporter, in that it should produce legal latex either way.

Nick

@ 2012-05-18 12:04       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xu Jingtao

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What I want to ensure is that this is maybe a bug of emacs org mode.
> >
> > I know "_a string_" will try to convert to underline string in latex,
> > by emacs variable org-export-latex-emphasis-alist.
> > Maybe this is why it is translated into wrong latex codes.
>
> Why is it wrong LaTeX code? You're asking Org to put an underline there,
> and there you have.

The old exporter latex output doesn't compile.

I tried the new exporter does it correctly, with either setting of the option.

Nick

@ 2012-05-18 12:09         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xu Jingtao

Hello,

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> The old exporter latex output doesn't compile.

Ah ok, I only tried with the experimental one.

> I tried the new exporter does it correctly, with either setting of the
> option.

The new one exports "__aaa_b__" as "\underline{\underline{aaa$_b$}}".
I think the OP wants a verbatim "\_\_aaa\_b\_\_" instead.

Hence my underscore suggestion, which would also solve the UNDER_LINE
problem without resorting to (unsupported) tricks like UNDER\_LINE.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: emacs org mode publish to latex failed with strings like "__aaa_cc__"
@ 2012-05-18 12:52           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-18 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xu Jingtao

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > The old exporter latex output doesn't compile.
>
> Ah ok, I only tried with the experimental one.
>
> > I tried the new exporter does it correctly, with either setting of the
> > option.
>
> The new one exports "__aaa_b__" as "\underline{\underline{aaa$_b$}}".
> I think the OP wants a verbatim "\_\_aaa\_b\_\_" instead.

That can be done with ~__aaa_b__~ though.

Nick

@ 2012-05-18 13:04             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xu Jingtao

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> The new one exports "__aaa_b__" as "\underline{\underline{aaa$_b$}}".
>> I think the OP wants a verbatim "\_\_aaa\_b\_\_" instead.
>>

> That can be done with ~__aaa_b__~ though.

Yes, but I assume that aaa could also contain other Org syntax, like an
entity.

So "__a\alpha{}a_b__" is still a problem.