* on the go capture
@ 2012-06-13 17:00 Sample Hampton
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Sample Hampton @ 2012-06-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Users,

What do you use to capture when away from orgmode (in the car, on the
subway) and what system do you use to migrate those captures into
orgmode?  Right now I just use a notebook and a pen--and it works fairly
well--but moving from notebook to org is certainly a pain, and I am sure
I am losing information.

What do you use?  And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?

Thanks,
Sample

* Re: on the go capture
@ 2012-06-14  1:44 ` Jeremiah Dodds
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-06-14  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sample Hampton <zaphod4007@aol.com> writes:

> Users,
>
> What do you use to capture when away from orgmode (in the car, on the subway)
> and what system do you use to migrate those captures into orgmode?  Right now I
> just use a notebook and a pen--and it works fairly well--but moving from
> notebook to org is certainly a pain, and I am sure I am losing information.
>
> What do you use?  And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Sample

When I had a smartphone, I used mobileorg and it worked beautifully.

* Re: on the go capture
@ 2012-06-14  5:21 ` Vikas Rawal
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-06-14  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sample Hampton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

What do you use?  And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?

I have been using mobileorg lately but have been troubled by
org-mobile-pull not syncing todo states and tags correctly. Most of
the times, these end up as errors in flagged.org.

Capturing notes and refiling them works well though.

Vikas

* Re: on the go capture
@ 2012-06-14 15:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-06-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sample Hampton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sample Hampton <zaphod4007@aol.com> writes:

> Users,
>
> What do you use to capture when away from orgmode (in the car, on the
> subway) and what system do you use to migrate those captures into
> orgmode?  Right now I just use a notebook and a pen--and it works
> fairly well--but moving from notebook to org is certainly a pain, and
> I am sure I am losing information.
>
> What do you use?  And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Sample

I tried mobileorg (for Android) when it was first made available but it
didn't suit me and I didn't particularly like my Android phones in any
case :(

I use a Nokia N900 (maemo, aka linux) or Nokia E7 (Symbian) these days,
both of which have real keyboards.  In either case, I simply ssh to my
desktop and run emacs in screen to take notes.  With screen, I can have
an instance of emacs running constantly which I can access very
quickly.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.1.50.1 and Org release_7.8.11-69-ga2fd96

* Re: on the go capture
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-06-14 16:33 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2012-06-14 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use Toodledo (http://toodledo.com).  I've been working on
org-toodledo.el that syncs todo items between an org file and the
toodledo server.  There are multiple other toodledo clients including
one for the iPhone / iPad that work nicely.

The system works pretty well for my needs (todo list management).  I do
most of my work in org-mode, and use toodledo mostly just for the mobile
use case (or remote when I don't have my computer).

The project is up on git:

   https://github.com/christopherjwhite/org-toodledo

...cj

On 6/13/12 1:00 PM, Sample Hampton wrote:
> Users,
>
> What do you use to capture when away from orgmode (in the car, on the
> subway) and what system do you use to migrate those captures into
> orgmode? Right now I just use a notebook and a pen--and it works fairly
> well--but moving from notebook to org is certainly a pain, and I am sure
> I am losing information.
>
> What do you use? And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Sample

* Re: on the go capture
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-06-16 18:53 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-06-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Sample Hampton <zaphod4007@aol.com> wrote:
> Users,

Feeling like Tron 1982 :-)

> What do you use to capture when away from orgmode (in the car, on the
> subway) and what system do you use to migrate those captures into
> orgmode?  Right now I just use a notebook and a pen--and it works fairly
> well--but moving from notebook to org is certainly a pain, and I am sure
> I am losing information.

I am using Mobile-Org on my Android phone. And I do use it for input
only. I love the "share with.../Mobile Org"-feature that lets me
easily share web pages, RSS feed entries, and such.

Although plain text todos I prefer to write on my hipster PDA[1]
which consists of a folded paper and a space pen. It is just faster
than grabbing the phone, beat the lock screen, start up Mobile Org,
hit the "new task"-button, hit the entry line to start up the
keyboard, and then ... what was it I wanted to write down again?

> What do you use?  And if you use mobileorg, then how well does it work?

For sharing something which is already written, I love it.

For having stuff from my desktop Org on the road I've had troubles:
I do have /way/ too much stuff on my desktop to blindly add
everything to Org Mobile. And I could not find the time to get a
setup that exports only stuff I need such as contacts, current
errands, ... yet.

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_PDA
--
Karl Voit