* C-RET in plain lists
@ 2011-08-21 18:52 Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, just starting out with emacs org-mode (I'm going through the
compact guide). I'm wondering, is it possible to make C-RET
(org-insert-heading-respect-content) "work" also on plain lists?
i.e. make it insert a new list item of the same level *after* the
sub-list.

what I'm trying to do is this: I have a such nested list

   - powers of 1:
	 1. 1
	 2. 1
	 3. 1
	 4. and so on
   - powers of 3:
	 1. 3
	 2. 9
	 3. 27
	 4. and so on

and I'd like to add a "powers of 2" entry in the middle... If C-RET
worked like in headings I could place the cursor on "powers of 1" and
do that, but it doesn't.

thanks for any help,
renato

* Re: C-RET in plain lists
@ 2011-08-21 18:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-08-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, just starting out with emacs org-mode (I'm going through the
> compact guide). I'm wondering, is it possible to make C-RET
> (org-insert-heading-respect-content) "work" also on plain lists?

Short answer: no. C-RET should be able to operate on headlines even in
the middle of the list.

> what I'm trying to do is this: I have a such nested list
>
>    - powers of 1:
> 	 1. 1
> 	 2. 1
> 	 3. 1
> 	 4. and so on
>    - powers of 3:
> 	 1. 3
> 	 2. 9
> 	 3. 27
> 	 4. and so on
>
> and I'd like to add a "powers of 2" entry in the middle... If C-RET
> worked like in headings I could place the cursor on "powers of 1" and
> do that, but it doesn't.

Move to the beginning of the line at "powers of 3" and use M-RET.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: C-RET in plain lists
@ 2011-08-21 21:09   ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 20:58:53 +0200
Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Move to the beginning of the line at "powers of 3" and use M-RET.

thanks, that satisfies my needs

cheers
renato