* MobileOrg: Org files already in Dropbox
@ 2011-05-11 14:00 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2011-05-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I got an iPad the other day and of course want to try out MobileOrg. The
MobileOrg setup instructions say to create a folder MobileOrg in your Dropbox
root dir, from where MobileOrg will read the org files. However, I'm already
keeping my org files somewhere in my Dropbox folder (in order to keep them in
sync between three computers) and if any way possible I'd rather not have two
copies of them.

So I have a few questions:

1) Can I set org-mobile-directory to something other than "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg"
(specifically, can I set the directory name to something other than
"MobileOrg"?)

2) Can I set org-mobile-directory to the directory containing my org files, or
will this lead to problems?

3) If so, is it possible to set org-mobile-inbox-for-pull to somewhere outside
this directory, so that its contents isn't included in the agenda? (I have
org-agenda-files set to "~/Dropbox/Work/Organiser".)

4) For the same reason, is it possible to make sure the files agenda.org and
index.org that MobileOrg creates are placed somewhere outside the agenda
directory?

Thanks,

Joost

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: MobileOrg: Org files already in Dropbox
@ 2011-05-11 23:59 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2011-05-11 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I got an iPad the other day and of course want to try out
> MobileOrg. The MobileOrg setup instructions say to create a folder
> MobileOrg in your Dropbox root dir, from where MobileOrg will read the
> org files. However, I'm already keeping my org files somewhere in my
> Dropbox folder (in order to keep them in sync between three computers)
> and if any way possible I'd rather not have two copies of them.
>
> So I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Can I set org-mobile-directory to something other than
> "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg" (specifically, can I set the directory name to
> something other than "MobileOrg"?)

Probably.  I use my own server and just entered the URL.  (I don't use
dropbox at all.)

> 2) Can I set org-mobile-directory to the directory containing my org
> files, or will this lead to problems?

I wouldn't.   MobileOrg has a concept of the real org files, files
converted for mobile use, and reintegrating changes from those back into
the real org files.   Also while real org can compute agendas, the ones
you see in mobileorg are precomputed.

> 3) If so, is it possible to set org-mobile-inbox-for-pull to somewhere
> outside this directory, so that its contents isn't included in the
> agenda? (I have org-agenda-files set to "~/Dropbox/Work/Organiser".)

Probably that would work.   I have it in ~/ORG/from-mobile.org, but I
only put files in the agenda explicitly.   I think it's just a place to
put notes that have been added so you can refile, so it should be ok to
be in a directory not with the rest of your org files.

> 4) For the same reason, is it possible to make sure the files
> agenda.org and index.org that MobileOrg creates are placed somewhere
> outside the agenda directory?

I don't know what you mean by agenda directory exactly, but I think you
should have directory for mobileorg and not have that directory used by
emacs org at all.

You could probably figure out how to prepare files for mobileorg so that
the real org files are read, but I'm not sure that would be ok.
Of course you could extend both org-mode and mobileorg to do what you
want.  What would be cool is to run emacs on the ipad, but unfortunately
Apple's app licensing terms are incompatible with the GPL.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: MobileOrg: Org files already in Dropbox
@ 2011-05-12 14:36   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2011-05-12 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 07:59:06PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > 2) Can I set org-mobile-directory to the directory containing my org
> > files, or will this lead to problems?
>
> I wouldn't.   MobileOrg has a concept of the real org files, files
> converted for mobile use, and reintegrating changes from those back into
> the real org files.   Also while real org can compute agendas, the ones
> you see in mobileorg are precomputed.

Ok, well, if that's the case, then all the other questions are more or less
moot. I'll just have to live with having two copies of my org files. :-) Not
that it's really that bad, I just wanted to know if its possible to use the
original org files as a source for MobileOrg.

Thanks,

Joost

--
Joost Kremers