* Multi Todo state
@ 2010-12-07  7:54 Chao LU
From: Chao LU @ 2010-12-07  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

Is it possible to have multiple todo state for one item? Like example below:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((type "PersonA" "PersonB" "PersonC" "|" "DONE")
                                      (sequence "REPORT" "BUG" "KNOWNCAUSE"
"|" "FIXED")))

So it could be possible for one item both have "PersonA" and "BUG" todo
properties. Besides, what's the essential difference between TODO and TAG?
Since to me, TODO is kind of special TAG?

Thanks a lot.

Chao

* Re: Multi Todo state
@ 2010-12-07  8:02 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-07  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao LU; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chao,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Chao LU <loochao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides, what's the essential difference between TODO and TAG? Since to me,
> TODO is kind of special TAG?

The way I understand it, TODO states have a flow/sequence to it.
Although they need not always be sequential, e.g. a type TODO keyword,
still they have a flow of NOTDONE --> DONE associated with them.
Whereas, a tag is probably more of a concept related to filing or
categorising and don't as such represent a work flow of any kind.

I hope that helps.

PS: If anyone feels they can improve on the above or if I am wrong
about something, please feel free to correct me. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Multi Todo state
@ 2010-12-07 15:22   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-07 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Chao LU, emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Chao,
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Chao LU <loochao@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Besides, what's the essential difference between TODO and TAG? Since to me,
>> TODO is kind of special TAG?
>>

> The way I understand it, TODO states have a flow/sequence to it.
> Although they need not always be sequential, e.g. a type TODO keyword,
> still they have a flow of NOTDONE --> DONE associated with them.
> Whereas, a tag is probably more of a concept related to filing or
> categorising and don't as such represent a work flow of any kind.

and, for the OP, don't forget that there are two other pieces of
information associated with any item: a CATEGORY and the file name.
This gives a total of 4 data that can be used to /label/ items of
interest, not counting the headline itself, of course.

Agenda views will easily display 3 of the 4 data (default is category,
todo state and tags, IRC).

I use categories for projects, tags for individuals and TODO states for
state information.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.221.gb3e16)

* Elsevier's "Executable Paper Grand Challenge"
@ 2010-12-07 19:26     ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2010-12-07 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In light of recent paper by Davison, Dominik, Dye and Schulte, this
sounds like something org-mode could address:
http://www.executablepapers.com

There is a USD 10000 first-place award.

   Executable Paper Grand Challenge is a contest created to improve the
   way scientific information is communicated and used.

   It asks:

   How can we develop a model for executable files that is compatible
   with the user’s operating system and architecture and adaptable to
   future systems?

   How do we manage very large file sizes?

   How do we validate data and code, and decrease the reviewer’s
   workload?

   How to support registering and tracking of actions taken on the
   ‘executable paper?’

   The purpose of the Executable Paper Challenge is to invite scientists
   to put forth their ideas pertaining to these pressing and unsolved
   questions.

See http://www.executablepapers.com for more information, deadlines, etc.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wolfram.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: Elsevier's "Executable Paper Grand Challenge"
@ 2010-12-07 21:02       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill White; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Bill,
On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Bill White wrote:

> In light of recent paper by Davison, Dominik, Dye and Schulte, this
> sounds like something org-mode could address:
> http://www.executablepapers.com
>
> There is a USD 10000 first-place award.
>
>   Executable Paper Grand Challenge is a contest created to improve the
>   way scientific information is communicated and used.
>
>   It asks:
>
>   How can we develop a model for executable files that is compatible
>   with the user’s operating system and architecture and adaptable to
>   future systems?
>
>   How do we manage very large file sizes?
>
>   How do we validate data and code, and decrease the reviewer’s
>   workload?
>
>   How to support registering and tracking of actions taken on the
>   ‘executable paper?’
>
>   The purpose of the Executable Paper Challenge is to invite
> scientists
>   to put forth their ideas pertaining to these pressing and unsolved
>   questions.
>
> See http://www.executablepapers.com for more information, deadlines,
> etc.
>
> Cheers -

I come up with the same answer to all four questions --- Org-mode!

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Elsevier's "Executable Paper Grand Challenge"
@ 2010-12-07 21:09         ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-12-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>>   The purpose of the Executable Paper Challenge is to invite scientists
>>   to put forth their ideas pertaining to these pressing and unsolved
>>   questions.
>
> I come up with the same answer to all four questions --- Org-mode!

Yes, these are only unsolved questions to those who haven't
discovered the answer yet.

It does seem like an interesting challenge though, it will be
good to see what the entries look like.

* Re: Elsevier's "Executable Paper Grand Challenge"
@ 2010-12-09  9:24       ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2010-12-09  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: billw; +Cc: emacs-orgmode