* Creating files for a Kindle
@ 2010-11-27 20:48 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-27 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Does anyone by chance use orgmode to create files for a Kindle?

If you do I would appreciate some helpful hints or ideas on how you approach
it.

The Kindle file format is apparently modified HTML, but the guidance I have
found seems to revolve around creating files in MSWord and then converting
to Kindle by uploading to Amazon OR using Calibre to convert PDFs to Kindle.
There is also a Mobi publisher that will convert files to Kindle, but its
Windows only.

The problem I have had, is that PDFs converted to Kindle lose a lot of
formatting, including tables.

The Kindle is a great bit of kit for reading documents (far better than a
computer screen) and the free mobile phone connection makes it easy to check
email etc, as well as browse the web at no cost. I'm much more impressed
than I expected to be.

I am slowly transferring a pile of paper documents/reference material onto
it, but I am having problems producing documents that take full advantage of
the Kindle features.  You can upload PDFs directly  but as native PDFs they
aren't as user friendly as proper Kindle formatted flles.

My guess is that orgmode files exported as HTML and then converted to Kindle
may be the way to go, but, as I said, I  would be interested if anyone has
already established a work flow for this.

Many thanks,

Graham

* Re: Creating files for a Kindle
@ 2010-11-27 22:02 ` Jeff Horn
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTinNkQX70pqfzOgxtE0MgF83dAo6Cb3TbD+9KRc4@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-27 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Graham Smith <myotistwo@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Kindle file format is apparently modified HTML, but the guidance I have
> found seems to revolve around creating files in MSWord and then converting
> to Kindle by uploading to Amazon OR using Calibre to convert PDFs to Kindle.
> There is also a Mobi publisher that will convert files to Kindle, but its
> Windows only.

I thought it was all proprietary. I'm surprised there are any
third-party converters.

> The problem I have had, is that PDFs converted to Kindle lose a lot of
> formatting, including tables.

Yep, that pretty much made me want the Kindle DX. Native PDFs are
great on a big screen.

> My guess is that orgmode files exported as HTML and then converted to Kindle
> may be the way to go, but, as I said, I  would be interested if anyone has
> already established a work flow for this.

Kindles understand native HTML as I understand it. Why not use org to
convert your files to HTML, style them if you wish, and put them
directly on your kindle? I've done that with a few short lists and
it's worked fine. Just drag and drop the HTML into the kindle
documents directory.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Creating files for a Kindle
@ 2010-11-27 22:03 ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2010-11-27 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:48:05 +0000
Graham Smith <myotistwo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone by chance use orgmode to create files for a Kindle?
>
> If you do I would appreciate some helpful hints or ideas on how you
> approach it.
>
> The Kindle file format is apparently modified HTML, but the guidance
> I have found seems to revolve around creating files in MSWord and
> then converting to Kindle by uploading to Amazon OR using Calibre to
> convert PDFs to Kindle. There is also a Mobi publisher that will
> convert files to Kindle, but its Windows only.
>
> The problem I have had, is that PDFs converted to Kindle lose a lot of
> formatting, including tables.
>
> The Kindle is a great bit of kit for reading documents (far better
> than a computer screen) and the free mobile phone connection makes it
> easy to check email etc, as well as browse the web at no cost. I'm
> much more impressed than I expected to be.
>
> I am slowly transferring a pile of paper documents/reference material
> onto it, but I am having problems producing documents that take full
> advantage of the Kindle features.  You can upload PDFs directly  but
> as native PDFs they aren't as user friendly as proper Kindle
> formatted flles.
>
> My guess is that orgmode files exported as HTML and then converted to
> Kindle may be the way to go, but, as I said, I  would be interested
> if anyone has already established a work flow for this.

I have used org to create ePub format by exporting to xhtml then using
Sigil to complete the task. I would then use Calibre to convert from
ePub to Kindle format.

There are lots of instructions on the Web for building ePub directly
from the xhtml file if you don't want to install Sigil, but I have
found Sigil to be an easy to use program for making the ePub.

HTH,
Alan

> Many thanks,
>
> Graham

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Fwd: Creating files for a Kindle
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTiky4Qd-m100ARV=i_8v7+9ak88UHfq87CVRfdtH@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-28  0:20       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Forgot to CC the group. Apologies.

Jeff

From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Jeff, and Alan,

Initial play around with has allowed me to find that:

Firstly, the Kindle doesn't recognise the HTML extension and HTML files
copied onto the Kindle simply don't appear as being available for viewing.
If you change the extension to txt, the file appears and can be seen as an
HTML files but includes some spuriois HTML code.

The Orgmode to XHTML to SIGIL to ePub to Calibre to MOBI (for the Kindle)
works extremely well, and for proper books looks good.

But for quick updates Calibre wil read the HTML files directly and will
convert to MOBI reasonably well, if its simple text and simple tables.

This is stll better than Orgmode to PDF to Calibre to MOBI,  as this route
breaks even simple tables.

Thanks for the help.

@ 2010-11-28 17:00           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: Org-mode ml

> Firstly, the Kindle doesn't recognise the HTML extension and HTML files
> copied onto the Kindle simply don't appear as being available for viewing.
> If you change the extension to txt, the file appears and can be seen as an
> HTML files but includes some spuriois HTML code.

Ah, that's a bit disappointing. Do you have DX? My manual says that
HTML is directly supported, with loads of other formats, so maybe it's
a DX only feature?

> The Orgmode to XHTML to SIGIL to ePub to Calibre to MOBI (for the Kindle)
> works extremely well, and for proper books looks good.

Great! I'm really glad you found something that works!

Jeff

--

@ 2010-11-28 17:21             ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-28 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Jeff,

> Ah, that's a bit disappointing. Do you have DX? My manual says that
> HTML is directly supported, with loads of other formats, so maybe it's
> a DX only feature?

It's not the DX (I don't think the DX is available in the UK, it certainly
isn't on the Amazon UK  site) BUT on the US site it says that HTML is
supported "through conversion"

However, with the bigger screen PDFs might work OK, but they don't work very
well on the smaller screen.

> > The Orgmode to XHTML to SIGIL to ePub to Calibre to MOBI (for the Kindle)
> > works extremely well, and for proper books looks good.
>
> Great! I'm really glad you found something that works!

It certainly works well for proper documents, but a bit of a hassle for
quick updates. Where in fact HTML files with the extension chnaged to txt
might still be the best option.

@ 2010-11-28 18:08               ` markscala
From: markscala @ 2010-11-28 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith, org-mode-list Org

One thing that works for me is this: export a file or subtree to html,
then send to [myname]@kindle.free.com.  Then, when my Kindle is
connected to the internet, it will automatically download Amazon's
conversion of my html file.  This happens pretty quickly, in my
experience, so it will almost certainly be faster than other methods
described in this thread.

Mark

@ 2010-11-28 18:30                 ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-list Org

Mark,

On 28 November 2010 18:08, <markscala@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that works for me is this: export a file or subtree to html,
> then send to [myname]@kindle.free.com.  Then, when my Kindle is
> connected to the internet, it will automatically download Amazon's
> conversion of my html file.  This happens pretty quickly, in my
> experience, so it will almost certainly be faster than other methods
> described in this thread.

I'm a little confused by this as it seems that if you are within Whispernet
range the file is sent to your Kindle but will cost 99 cents per file (its
per Megabyte, but rounded up to nearest Mb, and 15 cents if you are in the
US) , but I agree costs apart this would seem the easiest solution.  I'm not
sure how this approach works with graphics.

It's too expensive an approach for me.

@ 2010-11-28 18:33                   ` markscala
From: markscala @ 2010-11-28 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith, org-mode-list Org

Graham,

The cost is nothing if you send it via email to your @free.kindle.com
address. This is different from whispernet (which uses 3g, correct?).
Perhaps you would need to turn off the 3g option?  I don't know because
I have the Kindle without 3g.

I haven't tried it with graphics at all, so I can't say. Perhaps someone
has experimented?

@ 2010-11-28 18:42                     ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-28 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markscala; +Cc: org-mode-list Org

Mark

> The cost is nothing if you send it via email to your @free.kindle.com
> address. This is different from whispernet (which uses 3g, correct?).
> Perhaps you would need to turn off the 3g option?  I don't know because
> I have the Kindle without 3g.

 It seems you are correct, I am still wading through the instructions.

> I haven't tried it with graphics at all, so I can't say. Perhaps someone
> has experimented?

If there are no costs inolved this could still be a quick and easy way of
keeping text only/tables up to date on the Kindle, even if it doesn't do
graphics. A lot of what I want regularly updated will be text.

@ 2010-11-28 19:35                     ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-11-28 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-list Org

Just to follow this up, the kindle service to convert the HTML seems to work
well, and I have now grasped how the "free" service works.

Even if you have the 3g version of the Kindle, if you send it to the free
email address for conversion it isn't delivered until you are connected to
the Internet via a Wireless connection, and hence no charges are incurred.

Sorry, this has gone somewhat off topic. I did start off looking for Orgmode
tips, but it drifted off.

@ 2010-11-30  2:33   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2010-11-30  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/27/2010 2:03 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> I have used org to create ePub format by exporting to xhtml then using
> Sigil to complete the task. I would then use Calibre to convert from
> ePub to Kindle format.
>
> There are lots of instructions on the Web for building ePub directly
> from the xhtml file if you don't want to install Sigil, but I have
> found Sigil to be an easy to use program for making the ePub.
>
> HTH,
> Alan

I have used Calibre to convert directly from HTML to ePub.  What
advantage is there in using Sigil first?

Mark

* Re: Creating files for a Kindle
@ 2010-11-30 23:09     ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2010-11-30 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:33:06 -0800
Mark Elston <m_elston@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/27/2010 2:03 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> > I have used org to create ePub format by exporting to xhtml then
> > using Sigil to complete the task. I would then use Calibre to
> > convert from ePub to Kindle format.
> >
> > There are lots of instructions on the Web for building ePub directly
> > from the xhtml file if you don't want to install Sigil, but I have
> > found Sigil to be an easy to use program for making the ePub.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Alan
> >

> I have used Calibre to convert directly from HTML to ePub.  What
> advantage is there in using Sigil first?

Modest, but it depends on what you want. I use it to split into
chapters, make minor modifications and add a cover. If you just want to
read it, Calibre direct works just fine. Sigil just gives you a bit
more control.

Cheers,
Alan

> Mark