* Can't find LaTeX under MAC
@ 2010-09-27 21:06 Chao LU
From: Chao LU @ 2010-09-27 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I'm trying to use org-mode under MAC, and when I export to html, some
fragments of LaTeX needs to be converted. So I got the texlive installed and
then put these lines into my .emacs:

8<------------------------>8

(defconst lch-mac-p (eq window-system 'mac) "Are we on Mac")
(if lch-mac-p
    (progn
      (setenv "PATH" (concat "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:"
(getenv "PATH")))
      (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/local/bin"
"/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:")))
      )
    )

8<------------------------->8

But seems not work, org still can't find where the LaTeX is. Could anyone
give me a hint?

Thanks in advance ^.^

Chao

* Re: Can't find LaTeX under MAC
@ 2010-09-27 21:30 ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikvPY2LKjAOK=ZmFbgWkaubAuksU=xkoY3kfspp@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-09-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao LU; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Chao,

I have texlive 2010 installed on my Mac.  This path works for me:

**** Emacs set path to LaTeX binaries
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
     (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
     (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))
#+end_src

HTH,
Tom

On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Chao LU wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to use org-mode under MAC, and when I export to html,
> some fragments of LaTeX needs to be converted. So I got the texlive
> installed and then put these lines into my .emacs:
>
> 8<------------------------>8
>
> (defconst lch-mac-p (eq window-system 'mac) "Are we on Mac")
> (if lch-mac-p
>     (progn
>       (setenv "PATH" (concat "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-
> darwin:" (getenv "PATH")))
>       (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/local/bin" "/usr/
> local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:")))
>       )
>     )
>
> 8<------------------------->8
>
> But seems not work, org still can't find where the LaTeX is. Could
> anyone give me a hint?
>
> Thanks in advance ^.^
>
> Chao

* RE: Can't find LaTeX under MAC
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikvPY2LKjAOK=ZmFbgWkaubAuksU=xkoY3kfspp@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-28 11:58     ` Matthew Leifer
From: Matthew Leifer @ 2010-09-28 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm also on a Mac and it worked for me without any configuration.  You might
need to check whether the TeX settings in your System Preferences are set
correctly.  TeXLive installs a preference pane which sets the appropriate
PATH variables via a GUI so you don't have to do any hacking on your .emacs
file.  Also, you might want to look at using Aquamacs Emacs rather than the
plain Emacs that ships with OSX because it comes pre-loaded with all the
important customizations for LaTeXing.

On 27 September 2010 22:30, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha Chao,
>
> I have texlive 2010 installed on my Mac.  This path works for me:
>
> **** Emacs set path to LaTeX binaries
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
>    (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
>    (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))
> #+end_src
>
> HTH,
> Tom
>

> On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Chao LU wrote:
>
>  Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to use org-mode under MAC, and when I export to html, some
>> fragments of LaTeX needs to be converted. So I got the texlive installed and
>> then put these lines into my .emacs:
>>
>> 8<------------------------>8
>>
>> (defconst lch-mac-p (eq window-system 'mac) "Are we on Mac")
>> (if lch-mac-p
>>    (progn
>>      (setenv "PATH" (concat
>> "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:" (getenv "PATH")))
>>      (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/local/bin"
>> "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:")))
>>      )
>>    )
>>
>> 8<------------------------->8
>>
>> But seems not work, org still can't find where the LaTeX is. Could anyone
>> give me a hint?
>>
>> Thanks in advance ^.^
>>
>> Chao

* Re: RE: Can't find LaTeX under MAC
@ 2010-09-28 12:20       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-09-28 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Leifer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1, both to the fact TeXLive worked fine for me without additional
configuration, and to the suggestion of giving Aquamacs Emacs a shot.

Note: I use the emacs starter kit (which automatically loads some init
files), and I've had to symbolically link my ~/.emacs.d directory
(where the starter kit is kept) to ~/Library/Application
Support/Aquamacs. I don't know if this is necessary anymore. That is,
I'm not sure whether Aquamacs loads files in ~/.emacs.d by default.

Jeff

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Matthew Leifer <msleifer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also on a Mac and it worked for me without any configuration.  You might
> need to check whether the TeX settings in your System Preferences are set
> correctly.  TeXLive installs a preference pane which sets the appropriate
> PATH variables via a GUI so you don't have to do any hacking on your .emacs
> file.  Also, you might want to look at using Aquamacs Emacs rather than the
> plain Emacs that ships with OSX because it comes pre-loaded with all the
> important customizations for LaTeXing.
>
> On 27 September 2010 22:30, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>> Aloha Chao,
>>
>> I have texlive 2010 installed on my Mac.  This path works for me:
>>
>> **** Emacs set path to LaTeX binaries
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
>>    (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
>>    (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> HTH,
>> Tom
>>
>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Chao LU wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use org-mode under MAC, and when I export to html, some
>>> fragments of LaTeX needs to be converted. So I got the texlive installed and
>>> then put these lines into my .emacs:
>>>
>>> 8<------------------------>8
>>>
>>> (defconst lch-mac-p (eq window-system 'mac) "Are we on Mac")
>>> (if lch-mac-p
>>>    (progn
>>>      (setenv "PATH" (concat
>>> "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:" (getenv "PATH")))
>>>      (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/local/bin"
>>> "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin:")))
>>>      )
>>>    )
>>>
>>> 8<------------------------->8
>>>
>>> But seems not work, org still can't find where the LaTeX is. Could anyone
>>> give me a hint?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance ^.^
>>>
>>> Chao

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: RE: Can't find LaTeX under MAC
@ 2010-09-28 12:35         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2010-09-28 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Matthew Leifer <msleifer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm also on a Mac and it worked for me without any configuration.  You might
> > need to check whether the TeX settings in your System Preferences are set
> > correctly.  TeXLive installs a preference pane which sets the appropriate
> > PATH variables via a GUI so you don't have to do any hacking on your .emacs
> > file.

well, MacTeX does. MacTeX is of course essentially TeXLive, but IIUC it installs
some extra stuff that makes live easier for the Mac user by not having to mess
with the command line. i don't think the OP mentioned MacTeX, just TeXLive, so
it may be that s/he installed TeXLive directly, /not/ through MacTeX.

if that is indeed the case, i would advise the OP to remove TeXLive and install
it through MacTeX. that may solve his/her problems.

--
Dr. Joost Kremers
Georg-August-Universität