* *.org files showing up as "exec" files in Snow Leopard
@ 2010-09-23 15:36 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-09-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm not sure how important this is, but having just upgraded to Snow
Leopard, all my *.org files are now black with a green "exec" in the
corner and trying to open them is giving a message that they is no
application t view them and would I like to open a hex editor.

More of a Mac problem than an Orgmode one, but has anyone come across
this and know how to fix it?

Many thanks,

Graham

* Re: *.org files showing up as "exec" files in Snow Leopard
@ 2010-09-23 17:56 ` Erik L. Arneson
From: Erik L. Arneson @ 2010-09-23 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Graham Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure how important this is, but having just upgraded to Snow
> Leopard, all my *.org files are now black with a green "exec" in the
> corner and trying to open them is giving a message that they is no
> application t view them and would I like to open a hex editor.
>
> More of a Mac problem than an Orgmode one, but has anyone come across
> this and know how to fix it?

Do they have their executable bits set?  What does 'file' report?

Also, try looking at the files in Finder.  Right click (or Cmd-I) on an
.org file and make sure everything there looks correct.  You can even
tell it which application to open that particular file with (the "Open
with" dialog).

--
Erik Arneson <dybbuk-qPb3x58jdZkAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
  GPG Key ID : 1024D/62DA1D25   BitCoin : 1LqvuGUqJ4ZUSoE7YE9ngETjwp4yZ2uSdP

* Re: Re: *.org files showing up as "exec" files in Snow Leopard
@ 2010-09-23 18:11   ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-09-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik L. Arneson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:56:43AM -0600, Erik L. Arneson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Graham Smith wrote:
> > I'm not sure how important this is, but having just upgraded to Snow
> > Leopard, all my *.org files are now black with a green "exec" in the
> > corner and trying to open them is giving a message that they is no
> > application t view them and would I like to open a hex editor.
> >
> > More of a Mac problem than an Orgmode one, but has anyone come across
> > this and know how to fix it?
>
> Do they have their executable bits set?  What does 'file' report?
>
> Also, try looking at the files in Finder.  Right click (or Cmd-I) on an
> .org file and make sure everything there looks correct.  You can even
> tell it which application to open that particular file with (the "Open
> with" dialog).

Also via Cmd-I you can associate an application to your .org files.
This is done in the "Open with" section. But first check those exec
bits.

In my case, opening an org file from finder opens a new frame in Emacs
with the file.

.j.

* Re: Re: *.org files showing up as "exec" files in Snow Leopard
@ 2010-09-24  8:31   ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-09-24  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik

> Do they have their executable bits set?

Not sure how I tell,  googling suggests that an "x" in the permissions
says its an executable and it has rwx in the permissions (nothing
else) but I see this is the same as other files that aren't labelled
as exec. Indeed every file doc, excel etc is labelled with rwx in the
permission.

But an excel file I have just been sent has permissions -rw-r--r--(644)

Compared with an existing excel file whis has -rwx-------(700)

It seems that all the files I brough back from the back up into the
fresh install of Snow Leopard have had their attributes changed to rwx

I think this is very much a Mac problem now, so I will move this to a mac forum.

But thanks for your help.

Graham