* [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive "flashcards" using spaced repetition)
@ 2010-08-26  9:27 Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-08-26  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-Drill has recently been added to the contrib directory of the org repository.

Latest version is in repository at:
http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill

I have made a couple of major updates recently. Changelogs are below.
Reports of user experiences are welcome.

Version 1.0
Added README with more detailed documentation.
Items which are failed during session are presented again before the session
ends.
Items which were failures at the last review session are presented first in the
next session.
Added recognition of leech items, based on excessive number of failures.
Leeches can be skipped or warned about.
When reviewing an item, the prompt shows the number of items remaining.
When the session finishes, the minibuffer shows a brief report givisng
statistics about total time spent reviewing, number of cards that
still need review, etc.
Fixed the regexp for cloze-deleted text.
Optional face for cloze text in org mode buffers.
New card type: twosided.

Version 1.1
Added implementation of SM2 algorithm (now supports both SM2 and SM5).
Add option 'org-drill-spaced-repetition-algorithm': choose either SM2 or SM5
algorithm.
Add option 'org-drill-add-random-noise-to-intervals-p': randomly vary repetition
intervals slightly, to avoid clumping.
Fixed a bug in org-learn's SM5 algorithm (intervals much too long).
Use overlays to display cloze deletions as '[...]' during reviews.
Cloze text can contain hints, which will visible during review.
Add option 'org-drill-failure-quality': customise which quality is regarded as
unambiguous failure (1 or 2).
Expanded documentation, and added section on 'incremental reading', with example
setup.

* Re: [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive "flashcards" using spaced repetition)
@ 2010-08-27 22:25 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-08-27 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I'd like to learn vocabulary using org-drill.

What is the intended way to input a few hundred two-sided
cards?

If I understand spanish.org correctly I need a headline like

*** Noun                                             :drill:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
    :END:

and subheadings
**** Language1
     text

**** Language2
     text

for each and every word?
Or is there a way to have one such headline followed by a lot of
pairs of text for both languages?

Detlef

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:27:40 +0000 (UTC)
Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

> Org-Drill has recently been added to the contrib directory of the org repository.
>
> Latest version is in repository at:
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill
>
> I have made a couple of major updates recently. Changelogs are below.
> Reports of user experiences are welcome.
>
> Version 1.0
> Added README with more detailed documentation.
> Items which are failed during session are presented again before the session
> ends.
> Items which were failures at the last review session are presented first in the
> next session.
> Added recognition of leech items, based on excessive number of failures.
> Leeches can be skipped or warned about.
> When reviewing an item, the prompt shows the number of items remaining.
> When the session finishes, the minibuffer shows a brief report givisng
> statistics about total time spent reviewing, number of cards that
> still need review, etc.
> Fixed the regexp for cloze-deleted text.
> Optional face for cloze text in org mode buffers.
> New card type: twosided.
>
> Version 1.1
> Added implementation of SM2 algorithm (now supports both SM2 and SM5).
> Add option 'org-drill-spaced-repetition-algorithm': choose either SM2 or SM5
> algorithm.
> Add option 'org-drill-add-random-noise-to-intervals-p': randomly vary repetition
> intervals slightly, to avoid clumping.
> Fixed a bug in org-learn's SM5 algorithm (intervals much too long).
> Use overlays to display cloze deletions as '[...]' during reviews.
> Cloze text can contain hints, which will visible during review.
> Add option 'org-drill-failure-quality': customise which quality is regarded as
> unambiguous failure (1 or 2).
> Expanded documentation, and added section on 'incremental reading', with example
> setup.

* Re: [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive &quot; flashcards&quot; using spaced repetition)
@ 2010-08-28  0:39   ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-08-28  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer <at> gmx.de> writes:
> What is the intended way to input a few hundred two-sided
> cards?
>
> If I understand spanish.org correctly I need a headline like
>
> *** Noun                                             :drill:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
>     :END:
>
> and subheadings
> **** Language1
>      text
>
> **** Language2
>      text
>
> for each and every word?
> Or is there a way to have one such headline followed by a lot of
> pairs of text for both languages?
>
> Detlef

Hi Detlef
Your example card layout is correct. Note you can add other sections such
as "Examples" as well -- any headings after the first 2 are always hidden
during review.

What I suggest is to enter your cards in an easy, regular format such as
tab-delimited, or even into a spreadsheet and then export to a tab-delimited
or comma-delimited text file. Then use query-replace-regexp (C-M-%) to turn
them into drill items as in your example.

eg: if your file contains:

el perro<tab>the dog<newline>
el gato<tab>the cat<newline>

replace newlines with "^J***Noun^J****Language1^J"
replace TABs with "^J****Language2^J"
replace "*** Noun^J" with "*** Noun^J:PROPERTIES:^J......^J"
(where ^J is the newline character, entered by pressing C-q C-j)

There is no special way to "import" such a file into org, as far as I
am aware. FWIW I followed a very similar process to the above yesterday
with 450 cards exported from Anki, and it worked well.

For entry of more words "as you learn", I very strongly suggest setting
up an org capture template.

Paul

* Re: [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive &quot; flashcards&quot; using spaced repetition)
@ 2010-08-28 12:20     ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-08-28 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:39:48 +0000 (UTC)
Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

> For entry of more words "as you learn", I very strongly suggest setting
> up an org capture template.

Ahhh. Sometimes someone has to show you the obvious ...

Thx
Detlef

@ 2010-08-30  7:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi paul,

I have installed the new version.

It might be useful if you increase teh version number with important
changes - it still is 1.0 in the file.

- Carsten

- Carsten