* Setting org-remember-store-without-prompt specifically for certain templates?
@ 2009-10-21 18:15 Ryan C. Thompson
From: Ryan C. Thompson @ 2009-10-21 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to be prompted for a location to file some org-remember
templates, but not others. How can I set
org-remember-store-without-prompt in a template-specific fashion? I
tried putting code in the template with %(sexp) that would set a
buffer-local value for this variable, but I can't seem to make it work.

-Ryan

* Re: Setting org-remember-store-without-prompt specifically for certain templates?
@ 2009-10-22  5:49 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-10-22  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just leave org-remember-store-without-prompt as t and use C-c C-c in the
remember buffer to put the note in the default location. When I want to specify
a different location I use M-1 C-c C-c instead and org asks me where to refile
it to.

Darlan

@ 2009-10-22  5:53   ` Ryan C. Thompson
From: Ryan C. Thompson @ 2009-10-22  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's a fine solution for now, but I have one template that I *always*
want to be prompted about. (It's an "assignment" template, and I want to
refile it under the appropriate class.) For others, I don't want a
prompt. I feel there should be a way to implement this and stick it
inside a %(sexp) in my template of choice.

@ 2009-10-24 12:15     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-24 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 22, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:

> That's a fine solution for now, but I have one template that I
> *always* want to be prompted about. (It's an "assignment" template,
> and I want to refile it under the appropriate class.) For others, I
> don't want a prompt. I feel there should be a way to implement this
> and stick it inside a %(sexp) in my template of choice.

All you need to do is *not* to specify file and headline for this
template - then you will be prompted.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-10-24 21:00       ` Ryan C. Thompson
From: Ryan C. Thompson @ 2009-10-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> All you need to do is *not* to specify file and headline for this
> template - then you will be prompted.
If I don't specify a file and headline, won't the note just be stored
under org-default-notes file and org-remember-default-headline? Or even
remember-data-file?

* Re: Setting org-remember-store-without-prompt specifically for certain templates?
@ 2009-10-25  8:11         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-25  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 24, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> All you need to do is *not* to specify file and headline for this
>> template - then you will be prompted.
> If I don't specify a file and headline, won't the note just be
> stored under org-default-notes file and org-remember-default-
> headline? Or even remember-data-file?

Hi Ryan,

you are completely right, I was mistaken.

No, you cannot currently do what you want on a per-template basis.

- Carsten

* Re: Setting org-remember-store-without-prompt specifically for certain templates?
@ 2009-10-25 10:31           ` Ryan C. Thompson
From: Ryan C. Thompson @ 2009-10-25 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

My original idea for a per-template solution was to create a function to
set buffer-local values of the appropriate variables in the rememebr
buffer, and have that function return an empty string, and then put it
inside a %(sexp) in the template itself. Should this work? Would
buffer-local values take precedence when I press C-c C-c after finishing
my note?

My first few attempts were unsuccessful, but I'm not sure I got the code
right. I suppose I should try manually setting buffer-local values and
observing the effects.

- Ryan

@ 2009-10-25 10:50             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-25 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 25, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:

> My original idea for a per-template solution was to create a
> function to set buffer-local values of the appropriate variables in
> the rememebr buffer, and have that function return an empty string,
> and then put it inside a %(sexp) in the template itself. Should this
> work? Would buffer-local values take precedence when I press C-c C-c
> after finishing my note?
>
> My first few attempts were unsuccessful, but I'm not sure I got the
> code right. I suppose I should try manually setting buffer-local
> values and observing the effects.

Well, yes you should try, it might work, something like this:

%(progn (org-set-local 'org-remember-store-without-prompt nil) "")

- Carsten

* Re: Setting org-remember-store-without-prompt specifically for certain templates?
@ 2009-10-25 17:10               ` James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2009-10-25 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ryan and Carsten,

On 2009-10-25 11:50:05(+0100), Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
> > My original idea for a per-template solution was to create a
> > function to set buffer-local values of the appropriate variables in
> > the rememebr buffer, and have that function return an empty string,
> > and then put it inside a %(sexp) in the template itself. Should this
> > work? Would buffer-local values take precedence when I press C-c C-c
> > after finishing my note?
> >
> > My first few attempts were unsuccessful, but I'm not sure I got the
> > code right. I suppose I should try manually setting buffer-local
> > values and observing the effects.
>
> Well, yes you should try, it might work, something like this:
>
> %(progn (org-set-local 'org-remember-store-without-prompt nil) "")

That isn't going to work. When org-remember-mode is turned on in the
org-remember-apply-template , all local variables get cleared (there's a
kill-all-local-variables in remember-mode), and embedded elisp is processed
before this.

Try adding this to your emacs:

(defun org-no-store-without-prompt ()
  (org-set-local 'org-remember-store-without-prompt nil)
  (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'org-no-store-without-prompt))

And putting

%(progn (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'org-no-store-without-prompt) "")

in your template.

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|