* Re: Use remember to file an item to a list
@ 2009-08-19  8:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-19  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to use a special org file to collect quotes. The file is special
> in that it contains only a plain list. I want to use remember to quickly
> file a quote to it but it seems this is not yet possible to do in
> orgmode. I wonder if this feature is useful to have?

For this I would have two files: the one with usual headlines, where
you can remember your quotes, and another one where those headings
are converted to list items.  It shouldn't be hard to automate.

Otherwise I don't understand how remembering a plain list would work,
since remembering heavily relies on the target structure.

--
 Bastien

* Use remember to file an item to a list
@ 2009-08-19 10:10 Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I want to use a special org file to collect quotes. The file is special
in that it contains only a plain list. I want to use remember to quickly
file a quote to it but it seems this is not yet possible to do in
orgmode. I wonder if this feature is useful to have?

Thanks.

Leo

--
Emacs uptime: 1 day, 19 hours, 50 minutes, 24 seconds

* Re: Use remember to file an item to a list
@ 2009-08-20 14:05   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-08-19 09:55 +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want to use a special org file to collect quotes. The file is special
>> in that it contains only a plain list. I want to use remember to quickly
>> file a quote to it but it seems this is not yet possible to do in
>> orgmode. I wonder if this feature is useful to have?
>
> For this I would have two files: the one with usual headlines, where
> you can remember your quotes, and another one where those headings are
> converted to list items. It shouldn't be hard to automate.
>
> Otherwise I don't understand how remembering a plain list would work,
> since remembering heavily relies on the target structure.

I finally decided to use bookmark to jump to the file quickly and insert
quotes directly.

--
Emacs uptime: 2 days, 23 hours, 47 minutes, 0 seconds

* Re: Use remember to file an item to a list
@ 2009-08-20 14:35 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Leo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to use a special org file to collect quotes. The file is
> special
> in that it contains only a plain list. I want to use remember to
> quickly
> file a quote to it but it seems this is not yet possible to do in
> orgmode. I wonder if this feature is useful to have?

This was one of the plans for org-remember that James TD Smith was
working on.
Maybe you can get him to release these changes :-)

- Carsten

* Re: Use remember to file an item to a list
@ 2009-08-20 15:10   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-08-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

I have found a need for a remember template to add a row to a table in which
I have been keeping a series of data on (for what it's worth) CPU and GPU
temperatures.  This could be useful in a number of contexts.  A remember
template would save some time, each time data is entered.

Perhaps there is another way?

Alan Davis

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,  but when
you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird...
So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what counts.

   ----Richard Feynman

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com

@ 2009-08-20 15:20     ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2009-08-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan --

> I have found a need for a remember template to add a row to a table
> in which I have been keeping a series of data on (for what it's
> worth) CPU and GPU temperatures.  This could be useful in a number of
> contexts.  A remember template would save some time, each time data
> is entered.

Not sure this is the best way, but I do this with a remember template
including prompts for properties (so, for example, you would have a
template prompting you for CPU temps Nd GPU temps), and then use
columnview to display the relevant information in columns.

See
http://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html#Capturing-column-view

Someday (When I Have Time) I'm going to investigate org-collector.el,
which I think might be better. But this is working for me now.

--
John Rakestraw