* How to preverse fold status after reopening a file
@ 2009-05-27  2:19 Yuanle Song
From: Yuanle Song @ 2009-05-27  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,
org-mode can show a file in following mode when opening a file:

          overview   top-level headlines only
          content    all headlines
          showall    no folding at all, show everything

But they don't feed my need. I want to have the file exactly the same
as last time I open it, i.e. if a headline is fold when closing it
will be fold after reopening.

If that's not possible. Is there any properties that I can apply to
one headline, that will keep the headline fold (or unfold) unless the
user press TAB on them?

Yuanle

* Re: How to preverse fold status after reopening a file
@ 2009-05-27  4:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 27, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Yuanle Song wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> org-mode can show a file in following mode when opening a file:
>
>          overview   top-level headlines only
>          content    all headlines
>          showall    no folding at all, show everything
>
> But they don't feed my need. I want to have the file exactly the same
> as last time I open it, i.e. if a headline is fold when closing it
> will be fold after reopening.
>
> If that's not possible. Is there any properties that I can apply to
> one headline, that will keep the headline fold (or unfold) unless the
> user press TAB on them?

No, it is currently not possible to save the folding state of a tree.
Using properties would, in my opinion be too heavy, I am not sure if
I would like to have a property change each time I change the visibility
of some part.

Maybe you can write a add-on which in some way allows to save the
folding state, I don't have a good idea how to do this.

- Carsten

* Re: How to preverse fold status after reopening a file
@ 2009-05-27  4:17 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-05-27  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Yuanle,

Yuanle Song <sylecn@gmail.com> writes:

> org-mode can show a file in following mode when opening a file:
>
>           overview   top-level headlines only
>           content    all headlines
>           showall    no folding at all, show everything
>
> But they don't feed my need. I want to have the file exactly the same
> as last time I open it, i.e. if a headline is fold when closing it
> will be fold after reopening.

My guess is that this would require a lot of overhead to implement in a
plain text system like org.

> If that's not possible. Is there any properties that I can apply to
> one headline, that will keep the headline fold (or unfold) unless the
> user press TAB on them?

I believe the following passage from the manual (2.3) will be of
interest:

,----
| Furthermore, any entries with a ‘VISIBILITY’ property (see Properties
| and Columns) will get their visibility adapted accordingly. Allowed
| values for this property are folded, children, content, and all.
`----

http://orgmode.org/manual/Visibility-cycling.html#Visibility-cycling

Regards,

Matt

* Re: How to preverse fold status after reopening a file
@ 2009-05-27  8:39   ` Yuanle Song
From: Yuanle Song @ 2009-05-27  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:17:59PM -0500, Matthew Lundin wrote:
> Hi Yuanle,
>
> Yuanle Song <sylecn@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > org-mode can show a file in following mode when opening a file:
> >
> >           overview   top-level headlines only
> >           content    all headlines
> >           showall    no folding at all, show everything
> >
> > But they don't feed my need. I want to have the file exactly the same
> > as last time I open it, i.e. if a headline is fold when closing it
> > will be fold after reopening.
>
> My guess is that this would require a lot of overhead to implement in a
> plain text system like org.

I'm thinking whether there is another approach. I mean do it without
modifying org-mode codes.

I don't know whether someone here is using emacs desktop or session
with org-mode files. They restore a lot of things when you restart
emacs. Does these kind of tools work for my purpose?

If the information needed to restore the file view can be saved to disk,
and then reload when emacs starts, I get back the old view. I don't
know how org-mode works, if it is using mostly emacs data structures,
there is a possibility that they can be easily saved and reload. Just
like how savehist and saveplace works.

I might be wrong because I really don't know that the details about
emacs lisp. Any suggestions or comments?

> > If that's not possible. Is there any properties that I can apply to
> > one headline, that will keep the headline fold (or unfold) unless the
> > user press TAB on them?
>
> I believe the following passage from the manual (2.3) will be of
> interest:
>
> ,----
> | Furthermore, any entries with a ‘VISIBILITY’ property (see Properties
> | and Columns) will get their visibility adapted accordingly. Allowed
> | values for this property are folded, children, content, and all.
> `----

This is part of what I'm looking for. Thanks for bring it up.