* Adding time to deadline and schedule timestamps
@ 2009-04-07  9:58 Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a little more control over my DEADLINE and SCHEDULED
timestamps. Specifically, I'd like to be able to add the time (not
just the date) when I hit C-c C-d or C-c C-s.

I tried adding the prefix, which is how you would do it when putting
in a plain timestamp (C-u C-c .) However, this combo deletes any
schedule or deadline property the note might have.

If I use C-c C-d/s and try to type the time in at the prompt it is
ignored. However, I can manually add it to the timestamp afterwards
and everything works as expected.

Is there a way to automatically add the time? This would seem to be a
very natural thing to be able to do, especially for deadlines.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

* Re: Adding time to deadline and schedule timestamps
@ 2009-04-07 12:24 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-04-07 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Cameron Horsburgh

--- Mar 7/4/09, Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> ha scritto:
> I'm trying to get a little more control over my
> DEADLINE and SCHEDULED
> timestamps.

The manual (8.3 Deadlines and scheduling) states:

[...] special keywords to facilitate *planning*

DEADLINE
     Meaning: the task (most likely a TODO item, though not
     necessarily) is supposed to be finished on that *date*.

SCHEDULED
     Meaning: you are planning to start working on that task on the
     given *date*.

I think you should use a timestamp

* Submit :Project_A_
DEADLINE <2008-10-11>
** last minute for submission
<2008-10-11 16:59>

cheers
Giovanni

* Re: Adding time to deadline and schedule timestamps
@ 2009-04-07 12:32 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> writes:

> I'm trying to get a little more control over my DEADLINE and SCHEDULED
> timestamps. Specifically, I'd like to be able to add the time (not
> just the date) when I hit C-c C-d or C-c C-s.
>
> I tried adding the prefix, which is how you would do it when putting
> in a plain timestamp (C-u C-c .) However, this combo deletes any
> schedule or deadline property the note might have.
>
> If I use C-c C-d/s and try to type the time in at the prompt it is
> ignored. However, I can manually add it to the timestamp afterwards
> and everything works as expected.
>
> Is there a way to automatically add the time? This would seem to be a
> very natural thing to be able to do, especially for deadlines.

The prefix is used to remove the timestamps.

To add a time I just enter the time when you get the SCHEDULED or
DEADLINE date prompt.

eg. Date+time [2009-04-07]: mon 7pm

Lots of formats are supported.

Entering the time at the prompt works for me.

,----[ Example org file entering '7pm' and 'fri 11:30-13:30' ]
| * One
|   DEADLINE: <2009-04-07 Tue 19:00>
| * TODO Something
|   SCHEDULED: <2009-04-10 Fri 11:30-13:30>
`----

-Bernt

* Re: Adding time to deadline and schedule timestamps
@ 2009-04-07 12:42 ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-07 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:24:33PM +0000, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:

> --- Mar 7/4/09, Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> ha scritto:
> > I'm trying to get a little more control over my
> > DEADLINE and SCHEDULED
> > timestamps.
>
> The manual (8.3 Deadlines and scheduling) states:
>
> [...] special keywords to facilitate *planning*
>
> DEADLINE
>      Meaning: the task (most likely a TODO item, though not
>      necessarily) is supposed to be finished on that *date*.
>
> SCHEDULED
>      Meaning: you are planning to start working on that task on the
>      given *date*.
>

> I think you should use a timestamp
>
> * Submit :Project_A_
> DEADLINE <2008-10-11>
> ** last minute for submission
> <2008-10-11 16:59>

Yes, that's true. However, being able to do this in one timestamp
would seem to make a lot of sense. After all, this will show up in my
agenda as two apparently unrelated things. Besides, I should only have
to put the information in once, not twice.

--

@ 2009-04-07 12:46   ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-07 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 08:32:36AM -0400, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> To add a time I just enter the time when you get the SCHEDULED or
> DEADLINE date prompt.
>
> eg. Date+time [2009-04-07]: mon 7pm
>
> Lots of formats are supported.
>
> Entering the time at the prompt works for me.
>
> ,----[ Example org file entering '7pm' and 'fri 11:30-13:30' ]
> | * One
> |   DEADLINE: <2009-04-07 Tue 19:00>
> | * TODO Something
> |   SCHEDULED: <2009-04-10 Fri 11:30-13:30>
> `----
>
> -Bernt

Huh. Once again I increase the noise to signal ratio on this list. As
I said in my first message I tried that and it didn't work. I was left
with a datestamp with no time attached.

I've since rebooted my machine (and consequently Emacs) and now it
works. Weird.

Again, sorry for the noise.

--

@ 2009-04-07 12:51 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cameron,

Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to get a little more control over my DEADLINE and SCHEDULED
> timestamps. Specifically, I'd like to be able to add the time (not
> just the date) when I hit C-c C-d or C-c C-s.

When I type something like C-c C-d wed 13:30 RET, the time is added to
the deadline. E.g.,

,----
| * TODO Todo
|   DEADLINE: <2009-04-08 Wed 13:30>
`----

I could also type "+1d 1:30pm" or one of the other alternatives.

If I type C-c C-d on an item that already has a deadline and no time, I
can simply type in a time and it will be added to the existing deadline.
E.g., if I have the following todo:

,----
| * TODO Todo
|   DEADLINE: <2009-04-14 Tue>
`----

I can type C-c C-d 7:00pm RET on the headline and I get:

,----
| * TODO Todo
|   DEADLINE: <2009-04-14 Tue 19:00>
`----