* Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 16:12 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Windows users,

is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am
considering
to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
all systems....

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 17:30 David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2008-12-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're asking, but "M-x uuidgen" fails as does
"uuidgen" at the windows command prompt.  I'm running XP with Org 6.12a.

How should this command be executed?

> Hi Windows users,
>
> is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am
> considering
> to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
> and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
> all systems....
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

---------------
David A. Gershman
gershman@dagertech.net
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman

* Re: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 17:33 ` Charles Sebold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-12-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10 Dec 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am
> considering to make this the default for ID generation because it
> works on the Mac and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a
> default that works on all systems....

No, it's not.  It's available in Cygwin, though (not that I would
require that of Windows users).

Could that command's functionality be replicated in Emacs Lisp?
--
Charles Sebold                                    10th of December, 2008
 GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) | Gnus v5.11 | org-mode 6.14

* Re: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 17:50   ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-12-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10 Dec 2008, Charles Sebold wrote:

> No, it's not.  It's available in Cygwin, though (not that I would
> require that of Windows users).

Actually, it does come with some of the SDKs for .NET, I just
discovered.  But still, one can't assume its existence on a Windows
machine.
--

@ 2008-12-10 17:51 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-12-10 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

it is the sad truth: windows has nothing realy - just enough to install
software packages on top of it. No tools at all.

I use WindowsXP in virtulaBox. It's quite a naked install and has no
`uuidgen[.exe|.bat]'.

Regards,

   Sebastian

> Hi Windows users,
>
> is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am considering
> to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
> and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
> all systems....
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover

Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* RE: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 18:32 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2008-12-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could see if uuidgen is available, and if not, fallback to an online uuid generator:
http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen

Sending a post request to that URL shouldn't be too hard. And you can extract the UUID from the first <h3> element on the page.

I would separate the code responsible for extraction for retrieval, that way if the page format, url, or post vars change, it will be easy to update.

is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am
considering
to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
all systems....

Thanks.

- Carsten

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-10 19:18   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-12-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hi Windows users,
>>
>> is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am considering
>> to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
>> and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
>> all systems....

There is a windows API call to generate GUID's, which are unique and I
assume are the same as uuids. I used to know what this was, but I have
forgotten now:) I don't know if emacs lisp can call the windows API, but
somewhere I should have a small command line app that enerates GUIDs and
outputs them to stdout.

Ian.

* Re: Question to windows users
@ 2008-12-11  0:47     ` Oliver Charles
From: Oliver Charles @ 2008-12-11  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think Carsten is looking for something that ships on all Windows
machines, as opposed to requiring users to install a separate tool.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Windows users,
>>>
>>> is the command uuidgen usually available under windows?  I am considering
>>> to make this the default for ID generation because it works on the Mac
>>> and under GNU/Linux.  But I would like to have a default that works on
>>> all systems....
>>>
> There is a windows API call to generate GUID's, which are unique and I
> assume are the same as uuids. I used to know what this was, but I have
> forgotten now:) I don't know if emacs lisp can call the windows API, but
> somewhere I should have a small command line app that enerates GUIDs and
> outputs them to stdout.
>
> Ian.

* Re: Question to windows users
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-11  5:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-11  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all replies,  I will be using uuidgen only on systems which
have it and fall back to a different implementation in Lisp if not.

- Carsten