* OT?: viewing pdf as attachment
@ 2008-11-18 19:40 John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2008-11-18 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi --

I think this is not specifically an org-mode issue, but it shows up in
org.

I've started using the file attachment feature. I really like the way
it works, except that it doesn't work consistently with pdf files on
one of my computers. I can attach a pdf easily, but when I try to open
the attachment from org-mode, acroread opens as expected but it doesn't
open the file -- instead, I have an empty acroread window (the same
window I get if I open acroread from the command line with no file
specified). The program is run, but somehow the file name isn't passed
to the program.

I'm puzzled because it works as expected on my other primary computer,
and both computers have basically the emacs and org-mode same set-up --
i.e., .emacs and the org-configuration files are identical. (I know
they're identical because they're synched between computers.) So there's
some other setting that's off. I'm hoping that someone can give me a
hint where to look. I've come up empty in my searches.

Set-up on both computers:
 - emacs 22.2.1
 - org 6.12trans
 - Fedora 8
 - fvwm window manager

Thanks.

--
John Rakestraw

* Re: OT?: viewing pdf as attachment
@ 2008-11-18 19:56 ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2008-11-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi --
>
> I think this is not specifically an org-mode issue, but it shows up in
> org.
>
> I've started using the file attachment feature. I really like the way
> it works, except that it doesn't work consistently with pdf files on
> one of my computers. I can attach a pdf easily, but when I try to open
> the attachment from org-mode, acroread opens as expected but it
> doesn't open the file -- instead, I have an empty acroread window
> (the same window I get if I open acroread from the command line with
> no file specified). The program is run, but somehow the file name
> isn't passed to the program.
>
> I'm puzzled because it works as expected on my other primary computer,
> and both computers have basically the emacs and org-mode same set-up
> -- i.e., .emacs and the org-configuration files are identical. (I know
> they're identical because they're synched between computers.) So
> there's some other setting that's off. I'm hoping that someone can
> give me a hint where to look. I've come up empty in my searches.
>
> Set-up on both computers:
>  - emacs 22.2.1
>  - org 6.12trans
>  - Fedora 8
>  - fvwm window manager

Apologies for replying to my own message, but I forgot to say that when
I run "acroread some_file.pdf" from a terminal, acroread opens the file
as expected.

--

@ 2008-11-18 22:11   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Rakestraw; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Rakestraw <lists@johnrakestraw.com> writes:

>> Hi --
>>
>> I think this is not specifically an org-mode issue, but it shows up in
>> org.
>>
>> I've started using the file attachment feature. I really like the way
>> it works, except that it doesn't work consistently with pdf files on
>> one of my computers. I can attach a pdf easily, but when I try to open
>> the attachment from org-mode, acroread opens as expected but it
>> doesn't open the file -- instead, I have an empty acroread window
>> (the same window I get if I open acroread from the command line with
>> no file specified). The program is run, but somehow the file name
>> isn't passed to the program.
>>
>> I'm puzzled because it works as expected on my other primary computer,
>> and both computers have basically the emacs and org-mode same set-up
>> -- i.e., .emacs and the org-configuration files are identical. (I know
>> they're identical because they're synched between computers.) So
>> there's some other setting that's off. I'm hoping that someone can
>> give me a hint where to look. I've come up empty in my searches.
>>
>> Set-up on both computers:
>>  - emacs 22.2.1
>>  - org 6.12trans
>>  - Fedora 8
>>  - fvwm window manager
>
> Apologies for replying to my own message, but I forgot to say that when
> I run "acroread some_file.pdf" from a terminal, acroread opens the file
> as expected.

I'm assuming this is a Linux system...

This is probably a MIME handling setup issue between your two machines.
Check your mailcap settings (/etc/mailcap and ~/.mailcap probably).

If it's Windows...well you're on your own ;)

-Bernt

* Re: OT?: viewing pdf as attachment
@ 2008-11-18 22:31   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-18 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

there have been several threads to this concern. Maybe searching them
helps a little (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/). This
here seemed to help in a similar case (~/.mailcap):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2007-09/msg00534.html

Regards,

  Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover

Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: OT?: viewing pdf as attachment
@ 2008-11-18 22:43     ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2008-11-18 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi --

> there have been several threads to this concern. Maybe searching them
> helps a little (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/).
> This here seemed to help in a similar case (~/.mailcap):

Thanks, Sebastian and Bernt. It didn't occur to me that it could be a
mailcap issue because the system knows which application to use -- it
opens acroread, but for some reason doesn't open the pdf file. I'll
check ~./mailcap (and /etc/mailcap) when I'm back on that machine
tomorrow.

--
John Rakestraw