* [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?
@ 2009-10-21  5:15 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-10-21  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

This is for the GTD orgers out there. I've taken the article written by
Charles as a basis for my GTD implementation. In the end, it's all about
what works for you, but I'd like to get some insights/opinions from you: For
Next Actions, are you using a single list OR you organize them
hierarchically under each project (in the projects list)?

I started with the second one, putting each next action (TODO) item under
its correspondent project, however, it quickly became too bloated, and a mix
of projects, sub-projects and next-actions. Of course, org helps there with
sparse trees and other functions to filter trees, but still, I found it was
too complex, albeit more specific and I did felt I was more "organized",
even though I was getting lost.

So, I just let go of my obsession about the perfect thing and decided to try
a single Next Actions list, together with a Projects list. The next actions
is a single list with all the actionable items from all the projects. I've
lost the relationship between a next action item and a project, but I can do
this easily by just looking at the action, having the system tell me is not
that important.

So, basically, a bunch of projects and next actions, weekly review,
collect-process-organize-review-do and that's all.

Who knows, over time I might find that there's a better way... well, but
Keeping It Simple is sometimes the best approach, even though org is so
flexible that one might fall in the rabbit hole :)

Thanks,

Marcelo.