* Org-mode version number
@ 2008-11-17  7:06 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-17  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode Org-Mode

Hi,

I want to clarify the version numbers I am using for org-mode.  Some
of this system
was used already in the past, but in the future I will implement it
more rigorously:

Major releases have version numbers like 6.12.

Small cleanup-releases quickly after a major release will be 6.12a,
6.12b, ...

During the development period between two releases, the version number
will
look like this: 6.12trans.  That means this is after 6.12x.

In the run-up to a release, version numbers will be like 6.13pre01.
During
this time I am trying to avoid new features, only polishing and
documenting
what is there.

Note that most of these version numbers uniquely identify a version.
However,
the "trans" version numbers applies to many different steps, and
during this time,
the only way to uniquely identify the version you are using is through
the
sha1 of the git commit.

- Carsten

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-11-17  7:46 UTC | newest]