* publishing, and :auto-index
@ 2010-03-18  7:48 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-18  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am wondering is anyone is using the :auto-index functionality with
Org publishing.

The fact that this is called "index" is driving me crazy, and I would
like to rename this and all related properties to "sitemap.
Thus :auto-sitemap, :sitemap-style, :sitemap-title etc etc

- Carsten

* Re: publishing, and :auto-index
@ 2010-03-18 11:25 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-03-18 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>Hi,

>I am wondering is anyone is using the :auto-index functionality with
>Org publishing.

I'm not using it on my publishing projects but intend to use it as the
place I can hook in to publish an atom feed for multiple input files
of a project.  For this "index" fits as good or bad as "sitemap" would
do.

>The fact that this is called "index" is driving me crazy, and I would
>like to rename this and all related properties to "sitemap.
>Thus :auto-sitemap, :sitemap-style, :sitemap-title etc etc

IMO the problem with the /function's/ name is that even "sitemap" is
to specific or, in other words, creating a sitemap for a project is a
special use case of a preparation function.

Compared with current functionality of :preparation-function,
:index-function is a better implementation of a preparation function
because the project is passed to it as an argument.

So a correct implementation could look like:

,----
| :sitemap-style 'tree
| :sitemap-title "Sitemap"
| :sitemap-filename "sitemap.org"
| :preparation-function 'org-publish-org-sitemap
`----

Reducing :index-function to a :preparation-function while keeping the
benefits of :index-function (i.e. project as argument) would introduce
a backward incompatible change.  But a least with a good argument, I
think.

 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: publishing, and :auto-index
@ 2010-03-18 12:35 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-03-18 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering is anyone is using the :auto-index functionality with Org
> publishing.
>
> The fact that this is called "index" is driving me crazy, and I would like to
> rename this and all related properties to "sitemap.   Thus :auto-sitemap,
> :sitemap-style, :sitemap-title etc etc
>
> - Carsten

I do, but please go ahead and change it. I read the changelogs after git
pulling.

`grep' finds `auto-index' in
`worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.org' so that would need to
be changed as well.

I'd be glad, if someone could be so kind to do that little change in
that tutorial. I'm about to leave to Oman until the second of April
(luckily :) ) and I won't have any internet access or phone during those
too weeks.

Best wishes,

   Sebastian

* Re: publishing, and :auto-index
@ 2010-03-19 17:26   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering is anyone is using the :auto-index functionality
>> with Org
>> publishing.
>>
>> The fact that this is called "index" is driving me crazy, and I
>> would like to
>> rename this and all related properties to "sitemap.   Thus :auto-
>> sitemap,
>> :sitemap-style, :sitemap-title etc etc
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I do, but please go ahead and change it. I read the changelogs after
> git
> pulling.
>
> `grep' finds `auto-index' in
> `worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.org' so that would
> need to
> be changed as well.
>
> I'd be glad, if someone could be so kind to do that little change in
> that tutorial. I'm about to leave to Oman until the second of April
> (luckily :) ) and I won't have any internet access or phone during
> those
> too weeks.

Wow, have fun!  I will make that change.  But in fact, I am going
to make this change in a backward-compatible change for now, with
a warning emitted.  I am working on true index support, but I will not
use these property names for now (even though I am tempted..)

- Carsten