* items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19  5:55 Gert van Oss
From: Gert van Oss @ 2010-08-19  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dear list,

I know this is in the FAQ-[1] but I can't get it working. I've started with a new setup not edited by hand. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this working when I do: C-c-a?

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
 '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
 '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
 '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t))

Thanks for any reply,
Gert

1- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp

* Re: items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19  7:04 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-19  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gert van Oss; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/19/2010 07:55 AM, Gert van Oss wrote:
> dear list,
>
> I know this is in the FAQ-[1] but I can't get it working. I've started
> with a new setup not edited by hand. Can someone point me in the right
> direction to get this working when I do: C-c-a?
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>  '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>  '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>  '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
>  '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
>  '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t))
>
> Thanks for any reply,
> Gert
>

> 1- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp

Hi Gert,

I just did a test with org-skip-scheduled-if-done here. I set it to t,
scheduled a TODO item for today, then marked that DONE from the agenda.
It disappeared as soon as I pressed 'r' to rebuild the agenda view.

I think that is the intended behaviour, because rebuilding the agenda
can be a slow operation.

Please give us a small example of what exactly does not work for you:
describe what you do, what happens, and what you expect to happen
instead. The version of Org-mode you are using would also be useful to
know (M-x org-version), in case you have hit a bug. That would greatly
help us help you!

-- Jan

* Re: items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19 11:39   ` Gert van Oss
From: Gert van Oss @ 2010-08-19 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19 aug 2010, at 09:04, Jan Böcker wrote:

> On 08/19/2010 07:55 AM, Gert van Oss wrote:
>> dear list,
>>
>> I know this is in the FAQ-[1] but I can't get it working. I've started
>> with a new setup not edited by hand. Can someone point me in the right
>> direction to get this working when I do: C-c-a?
>>
>> (custom-set-variables
>> ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>> ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>> ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>> ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>> '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
>> '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
>> '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t))
>>
>> Thanks for any reply,
>> Gert
>>

>> 1- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp
>>

> Hi Gert,
>
> I just did a test with org-skip-scheduled-if-done here. I set it to t,
> scheduled a TODO item for today, then marked that DONE from the agenda.
> It disappeared as soon as I pressed 'r' to rebuild the agenda view.
>

> I think that is the intended behaviour, because rebuilding the agenda
> can be a slow operation.
>
> Please give us a small example of what exactly does not work for you:
> describe what you do, what happens, and what you expect to happen
> instead. The version of Org-mode you are using would also be useful to
> know (M-x org-version), in case you have hit a bug. That would greatly
> help us help you!
>
> -- Jan

hi list, Jan,

Thanks for your replay. Don't think I did hit a bug but that it is that I expect something to happen without creating the right settings.
I'm using Org-mode version 6.33x

I'd assumed that if I create a todo with the setup mentioned above.

Shift-Alt "text of my todo", then C-c C-t to mark it TODO and then C-c C-s to schedule it on today

I check whether the TODO is listed in the agenda with C-c-a.
This is the case. Following step is to 'select' the TODO and change it status to DONE with C-c C-t.
If I then check the agenda with C-c-a it still shows in the agenda (as DONE), though I expected the heading not to show up in the agenda because of

>> '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>> '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)

I thought as well that properties of the heading would change somehow but nothing happens. Curious to learn what to change in my settings.
Thanks,
Gert

* SOLVED:  was Re: items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19 12:10     ` Gert van Oss
From: Gert van Oss @ 2010-08-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19 aug 2010, at 13:39, Gert van Oss wrote:

> On 19 aug 2010, at 09:04, Jan Böcker wrote:
>
>> On 08/19/2010 07:55 AM, Gert van Oss wrote:
>>> dear list,
>>>
>>> I know this is in the FAQ-[1] but I can't get it working. I've started
>>> with a new setup not edited by hand. Can someone point me in the right
>>> direction to get this working when I do: C-c-a?
>>>
>>> (custom-set-variables
>>> ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>>> ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>>> ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>>> ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
>>> '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
>>> '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t))
>>>
>>> Thanks for any reply,
>>> Gert
>>>

>>> 1- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp
>>>

>> Hi Gert,
>>
>> I just did a test with org-skip-scheduled-if-done here. I set it to t,
>> scheduled a TODO item for today, then marked that DONE from the agenda.
>> It disappeared as soon as I pressed 'r' to rebuild the agenda view.
>>

>> I think that is the intended behaviour, because rebuilding the agenda
>> can be a slow operation.
>>
>> Please give us a small example of what exactly does not work for you:
>> describe what you do, what happens, and what you expect to happen
>> instead. The version of Org-mode you are using would also be useful to
>> know (M-x org-version), in case you have hit a bug. That would greatly
>> help us help you!
>>
>> -- Jan
>
> hi list, Jan,
>
> Thanks for your replay. Don't think I did hit a bug but that it is that I expect something to happen without creating the right settings.
> I'm using Org-mode version 6.33x
>
> I'd assumed that if I create a todo with the setup mentioned above.
>
> Shift-Alt "text of my todo", then C-c C-t to mark it TODO and then C-c C-s to schedule it on today
>
> I check whether the TODO is listed in the agenda with C-c-a.
> This is the case. Following step is to 'select' the TODO and change it status to DONE with C-c C-t.
> If I then check the agenda with C-c-a it still shows in the agenda (as DONE), though I expected the heading not to show up in the agenda because of
>
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>>> '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
>
> I thought as well that properties of the heading would change somehow but nothing happens. Curious to learn what to change in my settings.
> Thanks,
> Gert

Taking out the first two lines mentioned below helped to solve my problem..

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) WAITING(w) APPT(a) DONE(d) CANCELLED(c) DEFERRED(f)
#+TAGS: HOME(h) OFFICE(o) EMAIL(e) PHONE(p) READ(r) REFILE(f) SQLITE(s) AS(a)

* Re: items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19 14:27   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-08-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_B=F6cker?=; +Cc: Gert van Oss, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> wrote:

> On 08/19/2010 07:55 AM, Gert van Oss wrote:
> > dear list,
> >
> > I know this is in the FAQ-[1] but I can't get it working. I've started
> > with a new setup not edited by hand. Can someone point me in the right
> > direction to get this working when I do: C-c-a?
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> >   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
> >   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
> >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
> >   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
> >  '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
> >  '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
> >  '(org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
> >  '(org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
> >  '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
> >  '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t))
> >
> > Thanks for any reply,
> > Gert
> >

> > 1- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp
> >

> Hi Gert,
>
> I just did a test with org-skip-scheduled-if-done here. I set it to t,
> scheduled a TODO item for today, then marked that DONE from the agenda.
> It disappeared as soon as I pressed 'r' to rebuild the agenda view.
>

> I think that is the intended behaviour, because rebuilding the agenda
> can be a slow operation.
>
> Please give us a small example of what exactly does not work for you:
> describe what you do, what happens, and what you expect to happen
> instead. The version of Org-mode you are using would also be useful to
> know (M-x org-version), in case you have hit a bug. That would greatly
> help us help you!

In addition to Jan's suggestions, it would also help if you examined the
values of the various variables involved to verify that the values you
think you have set are really there, e.g.

C-h v org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done <RET>

etc.

Nick

* Re: SOLVED: was Re: items not disappearing from agenda once marked done
@ 2010-08-19 14:39       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-08-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gert van Oss; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Gert van Oss <gertmt@me.com> wrote:

> Taking out the first two lines mentioned below helped to solve my problem..
>
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) WAITING(w) APPT(a) DONE(d) CANCELLED(c) DEFERRED(f)
> #+TAGS: HOME(h) OFFICE(o) EMAIL(e) PHONE(p) READ(r) REFILE(f) SQLITE(s) AS(a)

I'm not sure why the second line would matter, but in the first line you need to
separate the "not done" states from the "done" states with  a vertical bar: