* "Indent headline data" is indenting non-headline-data
@ 2023-04-27  0:45 "James Harkins"
From: "James Harkins"  @ 2023-04-27  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just discovered a strange auto-indentation behavior. Org 9.5.2.

I'm currently using org to draft a paper.

I have set org-adapt-indentation to "adapt indentation for headline data lines."

Now I have (just stealing some body text):

```
* Headline

When this variable is set to ‘headline-data’, Org only adapts the
indentation of the data lines right below the headline, such as
planning/clock lines and property/logbook drawers.
```

If I position the cursor at the end of this paragraph, after "drawers.", and I hit return twice to start a new paragraph, org does not indent (as I expect).

If I position the cursor in the middle of the paragraph and hit return twice to break the paragraph into two, upon the second return, org *does* indent by two spaces.

Uh. What?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what is the definition of "headline data lines," but this looks to me like it's body text. Why is it being indented?

hjh

* Re: "Indent headline data" is indenting non-headline-data
@ 2023-04-27  1:30 ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-04-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"\"James Harkins\" " <jamshark70@zoho.com> writes:

> I just discovered a strange auto-indentation behavior. Org 9.5.2.
>
> I'm currently using org to draft a paper.
>
> I have set org-adapt-indentation to "adapt indentation for headline data lines."
>
> Now I have (just stealing some body text):
>
> ```
> * Headline
>
> When this variable is set to ‘headline-data’, Org only adapts the
> indentation of the data lines right below the headline, such as
> planning/clock lines and property/logbook drawers.
> ```
>
> If I position the cursor at the end of this paragraph, after "drawers.", and I hit return twice to start a new paragraph, org does not indent (as I expect).
>
> If I position the cursor in the middle of the paragraph and hit return twice to break the paragraph into two, upon the second return, org *does* indent by two spaces.
>
> Uh. What?
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what is the definition of "headline data lines," but this looks to me like it's body text. Why is it being indented?
>
> hjh

Reproducible in built-in Org (9.5.5 release) from Emacs 28.2, but
unreproducible in latest Org main branch (release_9.6.4-329-g466a37).
So, assuming that this indeed is a bug, it has been fixed, but the fix
is not present in your version.  Maybe you can try to install Org from
elpa and see if that helps?

--
Best,

RY

[Please note that this mail might go to spam due to some
misconfiguration in my mail server -- still investigating.]

* Re: "Indent headline data" is indenting non-headline-data
@ 2023-04-29  7:15   ` "James Harkins"
From: "James Harkins"  @ 2023-04-29  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

---- On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:30:13 +0800  Ruijie Yu  wrote ---
> Reproducible in built-in Org (9.5.5 release) from Emacs 28.2, but
> unreproducible in latest Org main branch (release_9.6.4-329-g466a37).
> So, assuming that this indeed is a bug, it has been fixed, but the fix
> is not present in your version.  Maybe you can try to install Org from
> elpa and see if that helps?

Thanks for confirming! If it's already fixed in some version, that's OK.

hjh