* Better inline image scrolling
@ 2015-05-05 13:06 Brice Waegenire
From: Brice Waegenire @ 2015-05-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Scrolling of inline images in org-mode is cumbersome, especially when
you have several of it in sequence, on a small screen. For example
when you are in a buffer after a image, not visible at the moment, and
you scroll up with either the C-p or your mouse wheel, it get
displayed entirely instead of bit by bit, from it's bottom to it's
top.

Could it be possible to display images as several lines, instead of a
unique one, with insert-sliced-image
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Showing-Images.html)
like emacs-ipython-notebook
(https://github.com/tkf/emacs-ipython-notebook) do when (setq
ein:slice-image t) is set?

* Re: Better inline image scrolling
@ 2015-05-05 14:11 ` Leo Ufimtsev
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-05-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brice Waegenire; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Scrolling of inline images in org-mode is cumbersome, especially when
> you have several of it in sequence, on a small screen. For example
> when you are in a buffer after a image, not visible at the moment, and
> you scroll up with either the C-p or your mouse wheel, it get
> displayed entirely instead of bit by bit, from it's bottom to it's
> top.
>
> Could it be possible to display images as several lines, instead of a
> unique one, with insert-sliced-image
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Showing-Images.html)
> like emacs-ipython-notebook
> (https://github.com/tkf/emacs-ipython-notebook) do when (setq
> ein:slice-image t) is set?

I asked about this on emacs.stackexchange
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/10354/smooth-mouse-scroll-for-inline-images
It seems there is no native support for this in emacs :-/

I've tried a a lot of scroll options with no success. Eventually I turned off inline images and set them to open in eye of gnome (as it's good with refreshing images upon changes on disk).
 '(org-file-apps
   (quote
    ((auto-mode . emacs)
     ("\\.png\\'" . "eog \"%s\""))))

Making (displayed) inline images use multiple lines sounds like a great idea.

--
Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

* Re: Better inline image scrolling
@ 2015-08-14 16:35   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-08-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Ufimtsev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Brice Waegenire

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com> wrote:
> Making (displayed) inline images use multiple lines sounds like a great idea.

Just to be overly clear: you are saying that it is a great idea add
the sliced-image utilization Org-Mode using
existing EMACS functionality for sliced images?