* gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
@ 2010-09-01 22:59 ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-09-01 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure I had this answered once already but I can't find the
reference!  sorry to ask again.  I have two issues right now as I try rather
deperately to print something reasonable-looking for my course syllabus (the
html version is lovely).

1) what is te recommended or canonical way to reduce whitespace, not only in
the margins, but especially between paragraphs?  In particular, I use a lot
of lists and subheadings; latex puts enormous emounts of whatespace between
items, and very quickly the syllabus becomes difficult to navigate.  It
would be great for me if I could make these settings default, too -- I would
much rather have my paper copies look more word-processor-ish, to ocnform
iwth expectations in my discipline (history).
2) is it possible to turn numbering off for most headings, but to turn them
on wihtin a specific heading?  In my case, I would like to number _only_ the
weeks in my course outline, but leave all other elements (course
requirements, texts, introduction, etc) unnumbered.  I bet it's possible but
it's not trivial to find this in the extensive manual.
Thank you as always!
matt

* Re: gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
@ 2010-09-02  0:16   ` Rafael
From: Rafael @ 2010-09-02  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> 1) what is te recommended or canonical way to reduce whitespace, not only in
> the margins, but especially between paragraphs?  In particular, I use a lot of
> lists and subheadings; latex puts enormous emounts of whatespace between items,
> and very quickly the syllabus becomes difficult to navigate.  It would be great
> for me if I could make these settings default, too -- I would much rather have
> my paper copies look more word-processor-ish, to ocnform iwth expectations in
> my discipline (history).

Not exactly the canonical way, but I have the following in documents I'm
planning to export to LaTeX to make whitespace bearable:

#+LATEX_HEADER:
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\olditemize=\itemize
#+LATEX_HEADER: \def\itemize{
#+LATEX_HEADER: \olditemize
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\itemsep}{-0.8ex}
#+LATEX_HEADER: }
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\oldenumerate=\enumerate
#+LATEX_HEADER: \def\enumerate{
#+LATEX_HEADER: \oldenumerate

@ 2010-09-02  5:18   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-02  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I had this answered once already but I can't find the
> reference!  sorry to ask again.  I have two issues right now as I try rather
> deperately to print something reasonable-looking for my course syllabus (the
> html version is lovely).
>
> 1) what is te recommended or canonical way to reduce whitespace, not only in
> the margins, but especially between paragraphs?  In particular, I use a lot
> of lists and subheadings; latex puts enormous emounts of whatespace between
> items, and very quickly the syllabus becomes difficult to navigate.  It
> would be great for me if I could make these settings default, too -- I would
> much rather have my paper copies look more word-processor-ish, to ocnform
> iwth expectations in my discipline (history).

This can be done using the enumitem LaTeX package:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+LaTeX: \setitemize{itemsep=0pt, parsep=0pt}

* list
This is a list

  - a

  - b

  - c

  - d

  - e

The \setitemize above is equivalent to

#+LaTeX: \setitemize{noitemsep}

You might also try

#+LaTeX: \setitemize{nolistsep}

which eliminates all vertical space.

On Ubuntu/Debian, the enumitem package is part of texlive-latex-extra
and the documentation is in texline-latex-extra-docs.

> 2) is it possible to turn numbering off for most headings, but to turn them
> on wihtin a specific heading?  In my case, I would like to number _only_ the
> weeks in my course outline, but leave all other elements (course
> requirements, texts, introduction, etc) unnumbered.  I bet it's possible but
> it's not trivial to find this in the extensive manual.

You can turn off section numbering by using

but I don't know if it's possible to then turn it back on within some sectioning
unit. But iiuc, you could do this and then use an enumerated list for the weeks -
something like this perhaps:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+LaTeX: \setitemize{nolistsep}
#+LaTeX: \setenumerate{label=Week \theenumi, itemsep=0pt, parsep=0pt}

* list
This is a list

  - a
  - b
  - c
  - d
  - e

* enumerated list
This is an enumerated list

  1. a
  2. b
  3. c
  4. d
  5. e

HTH,
Nick

* [PARTIALLY SOLVED] gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
@ 2010-09-02 15:12     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-09-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks everyone for heir suggestions.  I have settled for now on this:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}
#+LATEX_HEADER:
\geometry{verbose,tmargin=2.5cm,bmargin=2.5cm,lmargin=2cm,rmargin=2cm}%
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{paralist}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\itemize\compactitem
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\description\compactdesc
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\enumerate\compactenum
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[small,compact,calcwidth]{titlesec}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\section}{0pt}{*1}{*0.2}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsection}{5}{*0}{*0}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsubsection}{10pt}{*0}{*0}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}

which does a pretty good job of compressing the whitespace overall.  I'd
still love to do more finetuning of the formatting but I think that's a more
complex project.  Unfortunately this seems to have broken mk4ht for me!
which is a real drag as it's the only way I can reliably produce odt
documents, which I need much ofthe time.

Does anyone know whether numbering can be turned on just in some
subheadings?  That would help me quite a bit...

thanks thanks thanks for al lthe assistance,
matt

* Re: [PARTIALLY SOLVED] gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
@ 2010-09-02 22:24       ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-09-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:12:58 -0400, Matt Price wrote:

> Thanks everyone for their suggestions.  I have settled for now on this:

Might also be worth looking at the savetrees package which is in texlive-
extras.

Shelagh