* Insert timestamp other than DEADLINE: or SCHEDULED: for heading
@ 2018-02-06 16:16 Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2018-02-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org-Mode Help

Hi,

I'm trying to take full advantage of scheduling, deadlines and timestamps for my TODO lists.  It's easy to add deadlines and schedule times via `C-c C-s` and `C-c C-d`. However,  if I want to set a time for a meeting, I should be using a regular timestamp, rather than a SCHEDULE: property. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this automatically.

I know I can enter a timestamp with `C-c .`, but that just inserts it at point, regardless of where point is with respect to the headline, logbook, property drawers etc. Is there a function I could use to do the equivalent of `C-c C-s`, i.e., jump back to the headline, move past any property drawers, and insert a timestamp at the beginning of a line, and then return me to where I started?

I looked at `org--deadline-or-schedule`, but there's a lot going on in there,  and my naive hacking quickly broke it.

Best,

Tyler

--
plantarum.ca

* Re: Insert timestamp other than DEADLINE: or SCHEDULED: for heading
@ 2018-02-07  1:39 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2018-02-07  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 02/06/18 11:16, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to take full advantage of scheduling, deadlines and timestamps for my TODO lists.  It's easy to add deadlines and schedule times via `C-c C-s` and `C-c C-d`. However,  if I want to set a time for a meeting, I should be using a regular timestamp, rather than a SCHEDULE: property. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this automatically.
>
> I know I can enter a timestamp with `C-c .`, but that just inserts it at point, regardless of where point is with respect to the headline, logbook, property drawers etc. Is there a function I could use to do the equivalent of `C-c C-s`, i.e., jump back to the headline, move past any property drawers, and insert a timestamp at the beginning of a line, and then return me to where I started?
>
> I looked at `org--deadline-or-schedule`, but there's a lot going on in there,  and my naive hacking quickly broke it.

Not quite sure if I understand your question but it seems as if you want
to "SCHEDULE" a meeting for a date and time using C-c C-s

Using that key combination after a TODO I usually enter the date then a
space then the time. Also you may enter a duration such as 08:00+2

HTH.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Insert timestamp other than DEADLINE: or SCHEDULED: for heading
@ 2018-02-07  1:55   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-02-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

regular tses can be anywhere.  there is no command to put it after the
maiin org thingies.  there was discussion a while back about adding
EVENT: but it has not been implemented yet.

* Re: Insert timestamp other than DEADLINE: or SCHEDULED: for heading
@ 2018-02-07 15:57     ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2018-02-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ok, thanks for the info.