* LaTeX book export: Chapters?
@ 2016-10-04 14:25 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-10-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to export a LaTeX book (using scrbook style), but I don't
know how to make chapters. My book always comes out

Contents
0.1 First heading
0.2 Second heading

etc. I'm assuming making these headings into chapters will make the
table of contents come out right.

Clues?

Thanks,
-pd

--
  Peter Davis
  www.techcurmudgeon.com

* Re: LaTeX book export: Chapters?
       [not found] <5ce33d9543b74bc492af24137fe13693@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-04 14:39 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <93c192dd52f346649d872bcbe7b8fae5@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-04 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2016 at 14:25, Peter Davis wrote:
> I'm trying to export a LaTeX book (using scrbook style), but I don't
> know how to make chapters. My book always comes out

You need to use or define an appropriate entry in org-latex-classes
which has top level headings translated to parts and second level to
chapters.  What have you used?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.1, Org release_8.3.6-1131-gd68497

* Re: LaTeX book export: Chapters?
@ 2016-10-04 15:05   ` Peter Davis
       [not found]   ` <93c192dd52f346649d872bcbe7b8fae5@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-10-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 10:39 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2016 at 14:25, Peter Davis wrote:
> > I'm trying to export a LaTeX book (using scrbook style), but I don't
> > know how to make chapters. My book always comes out
>
> You need to use or define an appropriate entry in org-latex-classes
> which has top level headings translated to parts and second level to
> chapters.  What have you used?

Aha! I did do this, but I just discovered I had defined this for
'article', not 'book'.

Fixing that helps a lot!

However, I'm having trouble creating a book that has no Parts ... just
Chapters.  If I only use '**' and lower headers, I still seem to get a
Part for each top level header.

Thanks!
-pd

--

@ 2016-10-04 17:37     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-04 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2016 at 15:05, Peter Davis wrote:

[...]

> However, I'm having trouble creating a book that has no Parts ... just
> Chapters.  If I only use '**' and lower headers, I still seem to get a
> Part for each top level header.

How about creating your own LaTeX class entry in org-latex-classes that
maps top level headlines to chapter, 2nd level to section, etc.?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

* Re: LaTeX book export: Chapters?
@ 2016-10-04 18:46       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-10-04 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 01:37 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2016 at 15:05, Peter Davis wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > However, I'm having trouble creating a book that has no Parts ... just
> > Chapters.  If I only use '**' and lower headers, I still seem to get a
> > Part for each top level header.
>
> How about creating your own LaTeX class entry in org-latex-classes that
> maps top level headlines to chapter, 2nd level to section, etc.?

Perfect! Thanks!

-pd

--

@ 2016-10-13 14:15 ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-10-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter.

> I'm trying to export a LaTeX book (using scrbook style), but I don't
> know how to make chapters. [...]

If you're not too tied to scrbook, the Memoir class is perfect for
books, highly documented and very customizable.

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.

* Re: LaTeX book export: Chapters?
@ 2016-10-13 15:47   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-10-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Eduardo Mercovich wrote:
> Hi Peter.
>
> > I'm trying to export a LaTeX book (using scrbook style), but I don't
> > know how to make chapters. [...]
>
> If you're not too tied to scrbook, the Memoir class is perfect for
> books, highly documented and very customizable.

Hi, Eduardo,

No, I'm not tied to scrbook. That's just the first one I hit upon. I'll
certainly take a look at Memoir.

Thanks!

-pd

--