* specify font for pdf export?
@ 2010-10-21  1:23 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-10-21  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have to submit documents for a grant application in Times New Roman 12
point font with margins of 3/4".  Is it trivial to specify these values for
the text in a pdf output?  Also, is it ever possible to omit author, title,
and date lines in a pdf?  doing so is an absolute requirement of the
granting agency.    If need be I will simply make these modifications post
facto in openoffice, but a direct org export would be much neater.

thanks as always,
matt

* Re: specify font for pdf export?
@ 2010-10-21  1:38 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-21  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Matt Price wrote:

> I have to submit documents for a grant application in Times New
> Roman 12 point font with margins of 3/4".  Is it trivial to specify
> these values for the text in a pdf output?  Also, is it ever
> possible to omit author, title, and date lines in a pdf?  doing so
> is an absolute requirement of the granting agency.    If need be I
> will simply make these modifications post facto in openoffice, but a
> direct org export would be much neater.
>
> thanks as always,
> matt

Aloha Matt,

You could use org-article.cls.  Check out the following options:
[koma,DIV=XX,times,12pt], where DIV would take a value that yields the
correct margin on the paper size you are using.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.php

Instructions on how to fashion an alternative title are here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-11

If org-article.cls isn't to your liking, then you should be able to
see in its documentation the bits and pieces you'd need to configure
the LaTeX exporter to your satisfaction.

hth,
Tom

* Re: specify font for pdf export?
@ 2010-10-21  4:29 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-21  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to submit documents for a grant application in Times New Roman 12
> point font with margins of 3/4".  Is it trivial to specify these values for
> the text in a pdf output?  Also, is it ever possible to omit author, title,
> and date lines in a pdf?  doing so is an absolute requirement of the
> granting agency.    If need be I will simply make these modifications post
> facto in openoffice, but a direct org export would be much neater.

You should be able to just do

#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [12pt]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{times}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{geometry}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \geometry{....}
#+TITLE:

with some geometry specification for the margins (I can't get my hands
on geometry documentation right now, so I can't fill in that blank).

The empty title option omits the title page altogether: is that
what you want?

There is also the question of what Times New Roman is: is that the
default Times font that's built in to every Postscript printer out
there or is that some M$ abomination that they've arbitrarily stuck
onto the requirements? When I produce a PDF with the above options
and look at its properties with acroread, the fonts it shows are
Nimbus which I think are the Times clones that are distributed with
ghostscript. If it is *that* important, you should probably check
the PDF file that's produced for conformance.

HTH,
Nick