* org-mode html export background/foreground inconsistency
@ 2016-05-18 20:32 lad
From: lad @ 2016-05-18 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I attempted to follow this blog to enable a background html export on
org file save:

  http://stephanus-volke.de/posts/2015/Dez/22/org-mode-live-preview-en/

I tried adding the following to the top of the org file:

  # -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
  org-export-in-background: t; -*-

by the way I also tried:

  -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
  org-export-in-background: t; -*-

I even tried the following which I thought would work since I'm setting
the optional ASYNC variable to true:

  #-*- after-save-hook: (org-html-export-to-html t);
  org-export-in-background: t; -*-

For each test I tried I quit emacs and reopened to org file fresh. I was
prompted to accept some security settings and chose "y" so the variable
org-export-in-background is set correctly. The funny thing is when I go
through (C-c C-e h o) the export goes to the background, otherwise when
I save the file it happens in the foreground (which freezes emacs for
some time). :(

Running:

  Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpa)
  GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1

I'm not sure if this is correct behavior? Thank you in advance for any
insight or suggestions you may have.

- lad

* Re: org-mode html export background/foreground inconsistency
@ 2016-05-20 20:14 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-05-20 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

lad <lad@spiritcloud.org> writes:

> I attempted to follow this blog to enable a background html export on
> org file save:
>
>   http://stephanus-volke.de/posts/2015/Dez/22/org-mode-live-preview-en/
>
> I tried adding the following to the top of the org file:
>
>   # -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
>   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
>
> by the way I also tried:
>
>   -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
>   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
>
> I even tried the following which I thought would work since I'm setting
> the optional ASYNC variable to true:
>
>   #-*- after-save-hook: (org-html-export-to-html t);
>   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
>
> For each test I tried I quit emacs and reopened to org file fresh. I was
> prompted to accept some security settings and chose "y" so the variable
> org-export-in-background is set correctly. The funny thing is when I go
> through (C-c C-e h o) the export goes to the background, otherwise when
> I save the file it happens in the foreground (which freezes emacs for
> some time). :(
>
> Running:
>
>   Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpa)
>   GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1
>
> I'm not sure if this is correct behavior? Thank you in advance for any
> insight or suggestions you may have.

I tried it and it works for me, so I suspect that
org-export-in-background is just not implemented in the stable release
(based on the maint branch of the git repo - the elpa releases come from
that branch), but *is* implemented in master (which is what I use).

If that is correct, your options are to wait until version 9.0 is
released, or to use the master branch of the git repo, with the
possible bugs/instabilities that that might entail.

--
Nick

* Re: org-mode html export background/foreground inconsistency
@ 2016-05-20 21:28   ` lad
From: lad @ 2016-05-20 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 20, 2016, at 01:14 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> lad <lad@spiritcloud.org> writes:
>
> > I attempted to follow this blog to enable a background html export on
> > org file save:
> >
> >   http://stephanus-volke.de/posts/2015/Dez/22/org-mode-live-preview-en/
> >
> > I tried adding the following to the top of the org file:
> >
> >   # -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
> >   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
> >
> > by the way I also tried:
> >
> >   -*- after-save-hook: org-html-export-to-html;
> >   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
> >
> > I even tried the following which I thought would work since I'm setting
> > the optional ASYNC variable to true:
> >
> >   #-*- after-save-hook: (org-html-export-to-html t);
> >   org-export-in-background: t; -*-
> >
> > For each test I tried I quit emacs and reopened to org file fresh. I was
> > prompted to accept some security settings and chose "y" so the variable
> > org-export-in-background is set correctly. The funny thing is when I go
> > through (C-c C-e h o) the export goes to the background, otherwise when
> > I save the file it happens in the foreground (which freezes emacs for
> > some time). :(
> >
> > Running:
> >
> >   Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpa)
> >   GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is correct behavior? Thank you in advance for any
> > insight or suggestions you may have.
> >

> I tried it and it works for me, so I suspect that
> org-export-in-background is just not implemented in the stable release
> (based on the maint branch of the git repo - the elpa releases come from
> that branch), but *is* implemented in master (which is what I use).
>
> If that is correct, your options are to wait until version 9.0 is
> released, or to use the master branch of the git repo, with the
> possible bugs/instabilities that that might entail.
>
> --
> Nick

Hey Nick,

That did the trick.  Thanks for the hint, much appreciated! I don't mind
living on the edge. ;)

- lad