* Limits on capture mode?
@ 2014-03-31 23:07 Mark S.
From: Mark S. @ 2014-03-31 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm dusting off my org-mode set up from 3 years ago.

One of the features I would like is the ability to capture information from web pages including URL. I've configured the org-protocol, activated the server, and created the bookmarklet. It seems to work with small amounts of text..

The problem is that there seems to be some undocumented (?) upper limit to the number of characters that can be copied. It looks like it might be around a 1000. When I try to send more than that, the process doesn't seem to happen (there's no indication that anything is happening).

Is there some way to crank up the setting? A 1000 characters is not really enough.

Thank you!
Mark

* Re: Limits on capture mode?
@ 2014-04-17  7:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-17  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark S.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mark,

"Mark S." <throaway@yahoo.com> writes:

> The problem is that there seems to be some undocumented (?) upper
> limit to the number of characters that can be copied. It looks like it
> might be around a 1000. When I try to send more than that, the process
> doesn't seem to happen (there's no indication that anything is
> happening).

There is no limit on Org-mode side, so I guess it's a limit from the
browser protocol.  I'd search in this direction.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Limits on capture mode?
@ 2014-04-19  3:59   ` Mark S.
From: Mark S. @ 2014-04-19  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the suggestion, Bastien.

I'm thinking now that when the org-protocol is invoked on Win XP via the capture javascript code that  it's essentially the same as calling a windows command line. The Windows XP command line has an upper limit of 8192 characters. You can reach that fast because every space character gets translated into 3 url characters. This limits the ability of the nifty capture technology which is a shame. I imagine the work-around would require some sort of plug-in for FireFox.

The command line limits for Linux are much higher, so people using org-mode on those platforms would rarely encounter the barrier.

I guess there's not that many people using org-mode on Windows, if I'm the only one noticing this problem. Oh well, cutting and pasting isn't that tedious.

Thanks,
Mark

 Date: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 12:06 AM

 Hi Mark,