* "Invalid capture target specification"
@ 2010-07-20 17:53 Dave Mason
       [not found] ` <dave.mason@bronto.com>
From: Dave Mason @ 2010-07-20 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to get the new org-capture set up. I did as the docs suggest
and imported my remember templates - then I removed the remember
elements from my .emacs except for making the C-cr keystroke point to
capture.

However, now when I M-x org-capture - I get "Invalid capture target
specification" error.

I don't understand the message - help?

Thanks!

Dave

* Re: "Invalid capture target specification"
       [not found] ` <dave.mason@bronto.com>
@ 2010-07-20 18:13   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-07-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dcm; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get the new org-capture set up. I did as the docs suggest
> and imported my remember templates - then I removed the remember
> elements from my .emacs except for making the C-cr keystroke point to
> capture.
>
> However, now when I M-x org-capture - I get "Invalid capture target
> specification" error.
>
> I don't understand the message - help?

org-capture tried to figure out where the capture should be stored
(which file, which headline etc) and failed (in the function
org-capture-set-target-location).

Probably an error in your spec for org-capture-templates. Do

         C-h v org-capture-templates

and post the value you get.

Nick

* Re: "Invalid capture target specification"
@ 2010-07-20 18:30     ` Dave Mason
From: Dave Mason @ 2010-07-20 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get the new org-capture set up. I did as the docs suggest
>> and imported my remember templates - then I removed the remember
>> elements from my .emacs except for making the C-cr keystroke point to
>> capture.
>>
>> However, now when I M-x org-capture - I get "Invalid capture target
>> specification" error.
>>
>> I don't understand the message - help?
>>

> org-capture tried to figure out where the capture should be stored
> (which file, which headline etc) and failed (in the function
> org-capture-set-target-location).
>
> Probably an error in your spec for org-capture-templates. Do
>
>         C-h v org-capture-templates
>
> and post the value you get.

Oh, interesting - it says the value is nil

@ 2010-07-20 18:43       ` Dave Mason
From: Dave Mason @ 2010-07-20 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>> Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get the new org-capture set up. I did as the docs suggest
>>> and imported my remember templates - then I removed the remember
>>> elements from my .emacs except for making the C-cr keystroke point to
>>> capture.
>>>
>>> However, now when I M-x org-capture - I get "Invalid capture target
>>> specification" error.
>>>
>>> I don't understand the message - help?
>>>

>> org-capture tried to figure out where the capture should be stored
>> (which file, which headline etc) and failed (in the function
>> org-capture-set-target-location).
>>
>> Probably an error in your spec for org-capture-templates. Do
>>
>>         C-h v org-capture-templates
>>
>> and post the value you get.
>

> Oh, interesting - it says the value is nil

So I suppose the issue here is that
org-capture-import-remember-templates  didn't work for me - though
after I did it I viewed them with customize-variable and they all
seemed to be in order.

Guess I will need to recreate them.

Thanks for your help.

@ 2010-07-20 19:05         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-07-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dcm; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Dave Mason <dave.mason@bronto.com> wrote:

> >> org-capture tried to figure out where the capture should be stored
> >> (which file, which headline etc) and failed (in the function
> >> org-capture-set-target-location).
> >>
> >> Probably an error in your spec for org-capture-templates. Do
> >>
> >>         C-h v org-capture-templates
> >>
> >> and post the value you get.
> >

> > Oh, interesting - it says the value is nil
> >

> So I suppose the issue here is that
> org-capture-import-remember-templates  didn't work for me - though
> after I did it I viewed them with customize-variable and they all
> seemed to be in order.
>
> Guess I will need to recreate them.

Did you save it after you viewed it? The import sets the variable
for the current session, but it needs to be saved in some initialization
file for future sessions. Just click on 'Save for future sessions'.

Nick