* os x integration ?
@ 2008-07-10  2:21 cezar
From: cezar @ 2008-07-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

  Is there any way to have org-mode integrate with OS X better ?

  There are a few GTD apps out there for OS X that do a nice job at
  that: (THINGS, OmniFocus, Anxiety, etc). Some have a global shortcut
  for adding tasks from anywhere (THINGS and OmniFocus), other have a
  sexy icon in the top bar (Anxiety, Dejumble).

  Also the new Apple Mail has a thing called To Do and Notes, that
  would be also cool to sync somehow to org-mode. So you can create a
  TODO from an email with a link to it.

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: os x integration ?
       [not found] <m2hcayeaxq.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-10  3:06 ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found]   ` <m2abgq723s.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-10  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cezar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

cezar@mixandgo.com writes:

>   Is there any way to have org-mode integrate with OS X better ?
>
>   There are a few GTD apps out there for OS X that do a nice job at
>   that: (THINGS, OmniFocus, Anxiety, etc). Some have a global shortcut
>   for adding tasks from anywhere (THINGS and OmniFocus), other have a
>   sexy icon in the top bar (Anxiety, Dejumble).

Not from every where, but you should be able to define a few terminal
services (by using emacsclient) in Terminal.app to at least make it work
with selected file items in Finder.app or capture text put into the
paste board. However, YMMV since I use GNUstep and not OS X.

Also, there will be better integration between OS X and Emacs once
Emacs.app is complete (getting very close) and merged back into Emacs.

Charles

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: os x integration ?
@ 2008-07-10  5:13   ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]   ` <m2abgq723s.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-10  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Not from every where, but you should be able to define a few terminal
> services (by using emacsclient) in Terminal.app to at least make it work
> with selected file items in Finder.app or capture text put into the
> paste board. However, YMMV since I use GNUstep and not OS X.

That might be too much for me right now :)

> Also, there will be better integration between OS X and Emacs once
> Emacs.app is complete (getting very close) and merged back into Emacs.

Is that better than Aquamcs ?

Cezar

* Re: Re: os x integration ?
       [not found]   ` <m2abgq723s.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-10  5:48     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-10  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> Is that better than Aquamcs ?

From what I see on the Aquaemacs web page, it is based off Emacs's 22 while
Emacs.app:

http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/

is based on the unicode-2 branch of Emacs (now Emacs 23). The main
difference is that Emacs.app have full native unicode support and will
keep up with the changes in Emacs once committed to the Emacs cvs
tree. Also, I am not sure how much of the Aquaemacs GUI is written with
appkit since I have never used it.

@ 2008-07-10  6:09       ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found]         ` <m21w226z2t.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

>> Is that better than Aquamcs ?
>
> From what I see on the Aquaemacs web page, it is based off Emacs's 22 while
> Emacs.app:
>
> http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/
>
> is based on the unicode-2 branch of Emacs (now Emacs 23).

I found more info comparing the two here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00293.html

@ 2008-07-10  6:19         ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]         ` <m21w226z2t.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-10  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> I found more info comparing the two here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00293.html

I don't see nothing about Aquamacs there.

Cezar

* Re: Re: os x integration ?
       [not found]         ` <m21w226z2t.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-10  6:32           ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found]             ` <m2wsju5joc.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-10  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

,----
| Carbon Emacs provides the most recently released version (22.1, June
| 2007) of GNU Emacs for Mac users.  Emacs shipped with Leopard is also
| Carbon Emacs (you can complement a dummy Application bundle to run it
| as a GUI app).  Also, Aquamacs Emacs is (currently) based on Carbon
| Emacs.
`----

So it seems that Aquamacs (at least for now) is based on Carbon Emacs
where as Emacs.app's GUI is pure Appkit (Cocoa).

@ 2008-07-10  6:37             ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]             ` <m2wsju5joc.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-10  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> So it seems that Aquamacs (at least for now) is based on Carbon Emacs
> where as Emacs.app's GUI is pure Appkit (Cocoa).

Aha, thanks for that. Any idea what might be the advantages of using
Emacs.app over Aquamacs ?

Cezar

* Re: Re: os x integration ?
       [not found]             ` <m2wsju5joc.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>