From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
To: Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Citation in org mode does not compile
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 03:04:38 -0400	[thread overview]

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process '("texi2dvi --pdf --clean --verbose --batch %f"))
>
> I have incorporated above line in my .emacs file. Now the C-c C-e p is not showing the error
> "Undefined citation" but the problem is still there. In place of refrences, I am getting questions
> marks.

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I did go back and unpacked your files
from the original message. The problem there was indeed missing references:
your org file contains

,----
| hi \citep{biswas2008generalized}
| hello \citep{cai1992length}
`----

which did not match anything in the .bib file you attached to that
message. When I replaced them with the ones that *did* occur in your bib
file, like this:

hi \citep{ashu1995molecular}
hello \citep{brush1967}

and I fixed a couple of things at the beginning of the file:

# -*- mode: org -*-
#+TITLE: The Impact of Beer Consumption on Scientific Collaboration

everything worked fine (assuming that you added a call to bibtex
somewhere, either explicitly or by using texi2dvi, as indicated
previously).

The mode-setting line *has* to be on the first line: you can't leave
empty lines before it. The only exception is when the first line is a
shebang line, something like #! /bin/bash in a shell script: then the
mode-setting line has to be the second line. Emacs imposes this
restriction, not org.

There has to be a space after the # on that line: otherwise, it's not
interpreted as a comment and is included in the export output. That's an
org restriction.

Specifying the title is good practice, since otherwise the file name
becomes the title.

Nick