* Timer doesn't seem to do anything
@ 2009-08-06 15:42 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I was just trying out the new function for setting a timer for a heading
and am wondering if I'm missing something.

I go to a heading and type C-c C-x ; or just ; from the agenda, and I
get a prompt 'Time out in (min)?'. I enter the time (to test, I used 1)
and..... nothing.

I also tried M-x org-timers-show-remaining-time and it says 'No timer
set'

So, what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Timer doesn't seem to do anything
@ 2009-08-06 16:17 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-08-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just trying out the new function for setting a timer for a heading
> and am wondering if I'm missing something.
>
> I go to a heading and type C-c C-x ; or just ; from the agenda, and I
> get a prompt 'Time out in (min)?'. I enter the time (to test, I used 1)
> and..... nothing.
>
> I also tried M-x org-timers-show-remaining-time and it says 'No timer
> set'
>
> So, what am I doing wrong here?

Probably nothing. The default notification method is a message in the
minibuffer/echo area that can go away very quickly, so you gotta look
carefully and just at the right time to catch it. If you have the notify-send
program installed (on Ubuntu, it's part of the libnotify-bin package, which
depends on the libnotify1 package), then that is used for notification: it's
much more visible, but it too goes away quickly, so if you are looking away
from your screen for a few seconds, you are likely to miss it.

I described a way to set it up so that notifications make use of your
appointment mechanism: there have been several descriptions of how to do
the latter on this list, and their great advantage is that the
notification stays put until you do something about it. See

      http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14349/focus=15971

The whole thread is at

      http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14349

HTH,