* shell links [was: Version 4.19c]
@ 2006-04-06 16:30 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-04-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lot's of nice changes in 4.19.  I'm really impressed at how fast Carsten
& Co. are cranking out new code and new fixes.

Looks like there are a few problems with shell links in 4.19c, though.

1.) If I type C-c C-l, and then at the link: prompt, type

     shell:SPACE

    where SPACE means I hit the spacebar, then I get a [No Match] error
    message.  If I instead type:

     shell:lsSPACE

    then I get the [No Match] error after the 'ls'

2.) If I manually make a shell link like this

      [[shell:ls *.org][shellcmd]]

     and then type C-c C-o.  The minibuffer asks m:

       Execute " " in the shel? (yes or no)

     Even though there's a blank, the ls command works if I say yes

3.) If I put the cursor in the link and type C-c C-l, then
      the minibuffer says:

      Link: shell:ls%20*.org

     If I cancel (C-g), C-c C-o still works.

Scott

* Re: shell links [was: Version 4.19c]
@ 2006-04-06 19:28 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-06 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Lot's of nice changes in 4.19.  I'm really impressed at how fast
> Carsten & Co. are cranking out new code and new fixes.

Fixing goes fast if people are out there testing things.  Thanks for
your report.

> Looks like there are a few problems with shell links in 4.19c, though.
>
> 1.) If I type C-c C-l, and then at the link: prompt, type
>
>     shell:SPACE
>
>    where SPACE means I hit the spacebar, then I get a [No Match] error
>    message.  If I instead type:
>
>     shell:lsSPACE
>
>    then I get the [No Match] error after the 'ls'

This is because SPACE does completion in the minibuffer.  Hmm.  Ok, I
can turn this default off  and make SPACE insert itself.  This means
that only TAB will do completion in the minibuffer at the C-c C-l
prompt. Not a problem, I guess.

> 2.) If I manually make a shell link like this
>
>      [[shell:ls *.org][shellcmd]]
>
>     and then type C-c C-o.  The minibuffer asks m:
>
>       Execute " " in the shel? (yes or no)
>
>     Even though there's a blank, the ls command works if I say yes

The command is there, it is only invisible because it is a copy of the
invisible command in the [[ ]] link :-).  I am removing this
invisibility property now.

> 3.) If I put the cursor in the link and type C-c C-l, then
>      the minibuffer says:
>
>      Link: shell:ls%20*.org
>
>     If I cancel (C-g), C-c C-o still works.

In the hidden part of a link, space and brackets are escaped.  I forgot
to unescape for the editing prompt.

While I was at it, I have also removed the restrictions on shell
commands.  Shell: links in [[ ]] brackets can now contain "<", ">", and
"|".  These restrictions were only needed in <> links, but now no
longer.  This is nice.

Also, maybe you'd like to know that there is a variable to turn off the
safety query in shell links: org-confirm-shell-links.  I could also
change the yes-or-no query to a y-or-n query to make it easier to
answer....  We'll see, not now.

> Scott

Thanks.  The above named changes are in

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-4.19d.zip

- Carsten

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: shell links [was: Version 4.19c]
@ 2006-04-10 17:41   ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-04-10 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik (04/06/2006 12:28 PM) wrote:
>> scotto:
>> 3.) If I put the cursor in the link and type C-c C-l, then
>>      the minibuffer says:
>>
>>      Link: shell:ls%20*.org
>>
>>     If I cancel (C-g), C-c C-o still works.
>>
> carsten:
> In the hidden part of a link, space and brackets are escaped.  I forgot
> to unescape for the editing prompt.

In 4.20, the minibuffer is now showing the space without the '%20', a
nice touch.  However, the %20 still does show up in the link text when I
delete the leftmost ']'.  It's just a display issue, though, because the
   shell link works fine.

> Also, maybe you'd like to know that there is a variable to turn off the
> safety query in shell links: org-confirm-shell-links.  I could also
> change the yes-or-no query to a y-or-n query to make it easier to
> answer....  We'll see, not now.

I tried it out the customization and much prefer the y/n confirmation.
Thanks.

@ 2006-04-11 11:47     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-11 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 10, 2006, at 19:41, Scott Otterson wrote:

> In 4.20, the minibuffer is now showing the space without the '%20', a
> nice touch.  However, the %20 still does show up in the link text when
> I delete the leftmost ']'.  It's just a display issue, though, because
> the   shell link works fine.

Some characters need to be escaped in a link.  For example, I have seen
message ID's containing [ ] brackets, and these would mess up the
regexp matching of links.  A space character might lead to link being
scattered over two lines, with a newline and possibly indentation in
between.  To avoid this, I am escaping both space and brackets.  The
links still work because before following a link, the escaping is
reversed

- Carsten