* [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7
@ 2010-12-16 19:35 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-12-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

first, my apologies for my previous posting, that was posted by
accident, and when trying to cancel the article in gnus, it prompted me
for a Canlock password which I don't know, so I wasn't able to cancel
the posting.

Anyhow, my question is: is there an emacs version that runs under 64 bit
Windoze 7?  I have to have my work computer upgraded, and I've read on
the gnu ftp site in the Windoze readme that emacs has yet to be ported
to 64 bit Windoze.  Is this true?  I'm starting to get really nervous at
the prospect of not being able to use org-mode anymore ...

Any pointers are highly appreciated!

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7
@ 2010-12-16 19:56 ` Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-12-16 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus,

I run a 32 bit version of GNU Emacs in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with no
issues.  Good luck.

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

@ 2010-12-16 20:16 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----[ (info "(message)Canceling News") ]
| The `message-cancel-news' command cancels the article in the current
| buffer.
|
|    The value of `message-cancel-message' is inserted in the body of the
| cancel message.  The default is `I am canceling my own article.'.
|
|    When Message posts news messages, it inserts `Cancel-Lock' headers
| by default.  This is a cryptographic header that ensures that only you
| can cancel your own messages, which is nice.  The downside is that if
| you lose your `.emacs' file (which is where Gnus stores the secret
| cancel lock password (which is generated automatically the first time
| you use this feature)), you won't be able to cancel your message.  If
| you want to manage a password yourself, you can put something like the
| following in your `~/.gnus.el' file:
|
|      (setq canlock-password "geheimnis"
|            canlock-password-for-verify canlock-password)
|
|    Whether to insert the header or not is controlled by the
| `message-insert-canlock' variable.
|
|    Not many news servers respect the `Cancel-Lock' header yet, but this
| is expected to change in the future.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7
@ 2010-12-16 20:20   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-12-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:

> Markus,
>
> I run a 32 bit version of GNU Emacs in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with no
> issues.  Good luck.

Good to know!

Thanks!!

* Re: [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7
@ 2010-12-16 21:13   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-12-16 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> first, my apologies for my previous posting, that was posted by
>> accident, and when trying to cancel the article in gnus, it prompted
>> me for a Canlock password which I don't know, so I wasn't able to
>> cancel the posting.
>
> ,----[ (info "(message)Canceling News") ]
> | The `message-cancel-news' command cancels the article in the current
> | buffer.
> |
> |    The value of `message-cancel-message' is inserted in the body of the
> | cancel message.  The default is `I am canceling my own article.'.
> |
> |    When Message posts news messages, it inserts `Cancel-Lock' headers
> | by default.  This is a cryptographic header that ensures that only you
> | can cancel your own messages, which is nice.  The downside is that if
> | you lose your `.emacs' file (which is where Gnus stores the secret
> | cancel lock password (which is generated automatically the first time
> | you use this feature)), you won't be able to cancel your message.  If
> | you want to manage a password yourself, you can put something like the
> | following in your `~/.gnus.el' file:
> |
> |      (setq canlock-password "geheimnis"
> |            canlock-password-for-verify canlock-password)
> |
> |    Whether to insert the header or not is controlled by the
> | `message-insert-canlock' variable.
> |
> |    Not many news servers respect the `Cancel-Lock' header yet, but this
> | is expected to change in the future.
> `----

Thanks Tassilo.

Man I really have to learn how to use the manpages/info thingy ...

Cheers
Markus

* [OT] info in emacs (was: [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7)
@ 2010-12-17  5:15     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-12-17  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>> cancel the posting.
>> ,----[ (info "(message)Canceling News") ]
> Man I really have to learn how to use the manpages/info thingy ...

Info is so convenient, but I use it a tad too infrequently to get the
keybindings into my head. So I made this:

Info.org:
| *Navigation* |                                |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
|              | /Buffer/                       | Notes                      |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| .            | beginning-of-buffer            |                            |
| b            | beginning-of-buffer            |                            |
| DEL          | Info-scroll-down               | i.e. up!                   |
| SPC          | Info-scroll-up                 | i.e. down!                 |
| M-n          | clone-buffer                   | see also C-u m/g           |
| c            | Info-copy-current-node-name    | bind to y?!                |
| w            | Info-copy-current-node-name    |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| ************ | /Link/                         | ************               |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| TAB          | Info-next-reference            |                            |
| M-tab        | Info-prev-reference            |                            |
| S-tab        | Info-prev-reference            |                            |
| backtab      | Info-prev-reference            |                            |
| RET          | Info-follow-nearest-node       |                            |
| f            | Info-follow-reference          | Use Tab-Completion! del.?! |
| mouse-2      | Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node | delete?!                   |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| ************ | /Node/                         | ************               |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| ]            | Info-forward-node              | sequential                 |
| [            | Info-backward-node             | -"-                        |
| n            | Info-next                      | hierarchical               |
| p            | Info-prev                      | -"-                        |
| u            | Info-up                        |                            |
| ^            | Info-up                        | delete?!                   |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| ************ | /Manual/                       | ***********                |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| g            | Info-goto-node                 |                            |
| 1-9          | Info-nth-menu-item             |                            |
| T            | Info-toc                       |                            |
| <            | Info-top-node                  |                            |
| >            | Info-final-node                |                            |
| t            | Info-top-node                  | delete?!                   |
| I            | Info-virtual-index             |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| *History*    |                                |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| L            | Info-history                   |                            |
| l            | Info-history-back              |                            |
| r            | Info-history-forward           |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| *Search*     |                                |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| i            | Info-index                     |                            |
| ,            | Info-index-next                |                            |
| s            | Info-search                    |                            |
| S            | Info-search-case-sensitively   |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| *Misc*       |                                |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|
| d            | Info-directory                 |                            |
| ?            | Info-summary                   |                            |
| h            | Info-help                      |                            |
| q            | Info-exit                      |                            |
| j            | bmkp-info-jump                 |                            |
| e            | Info-edit                      |                            |
|--------------+--------------------------------+----------------------------|

Maybe it is of some use on your quest ;)

Memnon

* Re: [OT] info in emacs (was: [OT] Emacs for 64 bit Windows 7)
@ 2010-12-17 15:29       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-12-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
> >> ,----[ (info "(message)Canceling News") ]
> > Man I really have to learn how to use the manpages/info thingy ...
>
> Info is so convenient, but I use it a tad too infrequently to get the
> keybindings into my head. So I made this:

Undoubtedly, tables like Memnon's are useful, but if I had to do them
for every mode of interest (particularly the ones that I don't use
often), I'd be spending all of my time making them :-) and then (at
least BOE[fn:1]) spending even more time finding them again.

So I don't worry about frequently-used vs not-frequently-used modes: I
just go in e.g. to Info and then use ``C-h m'' to get the mode
keymap. Then use whatever key I need at the time. If I don't reuse it
soon, I forget it and I have to go through the same process again in the
future. If I use it often enough, the memory eventually migrates to my
fingers and I'm all set.

Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] Before the Org Era.