* "Interactive" Search in Agenda
@ 2010-08-20 20:58 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-08-20 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I'd like to implement some sort of "interactive" search in the agenda,
as the subject says.

Consider a.org that contains something like this:

:PROPERTIES:
:Sample: S0001
:Request: R0001
:END:

and a second file that contains

:PROPERTIES:
:Sample: S0001
:Request: R0001
:END:

Both files are agenda files.  What I'd like to be able to do is the
following:

1. Hit C-c a
2. In the dispatcher, hit `X'
3. I get prompted which Property I want to search for, and I enter `Sample'
4. I get prompted which value I want that property to have, and I enter
   `S0002'
5. I get a list of all hits

Now, I know that I can achieve this by using

1. Hit C-c a
2. Hit `m'
3. Enter `+Sample="S0002"'

but that's too much typing for my taste.

Is there a way to achieve what I want?

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: "Interactive" Search in Agenda
@ 2010-09-03  0:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-03  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Hit C-c a
> 2. In the dispatcher, hit `X'
> 3. I get prompted which Property I want to search for, and I enter `Sample'
> 4. I get prompted which value I want that property to have, and I enter
>    `S0002'
> 5. I get a list of all hits
>
> Now, I know that I can achieve this by using
>
> 1. Hit C-c a
> 2. Hit `m'
> 3. Enter `+Sample="S0002"'
>
> but that's too much typing for my taste.
>
> Is there a way to achieve what I want?

One small but (maybe) useful improvement here would be to make `C-c a m'
allow completion over properties.  That would spare you a few keystrokes
already...

--
 Bastien

* Re: "Interactive" Search in Agenda
@ 2010-09-03 16:49   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-03 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 1. Hit C-c a
>> 2. In the dispatcher, hit `X'
>> 3. I get prompted which Property I want to search for, and I enter `Sample'
>> 4. I get prompted which value I want that property to have, and I enter
>>    `S0002'
>> 5. I get a list of all hits
>>
>> Now, I know that I can achieve this by using
>>
>> 1. Hit C-c a
>> 2. Hit `m'
>> 3. Enter `+Sample="S0002"'
>>
>> but that's too much typing for my taste.
>>
>> Is there a way to achieve what I want?
>
> One small but (maybe) useful improvement here would be to make `C-c a m'
> allow completion over properties.  That would spare you a few keystrokes
> already...

Yes, that would be nice.  What would it look like then?  Like this:

1. Hit C-c a
2. Hit `m'
3. Type +S and then hit TAB which expands to +Sample
4. Continue with ="S0002"

Is this what you're thinking about?

Cheers
Markus

* Re: Re: "Interactive" Search in Agenda
@ 2010-09-05 17:59     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, that would be nice.  What would it look like then?  Like this:
>
> 1. Hit C-c a
> 2. Hit `m'
> 3. Type +S and then hit TAB which expands to +Sample
> 4. Continue with ="S0002"
>
> Is this what you're thinking about?

Yes.  But I haven't looked into the details now, so I don't know how
hard it is to implement this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: "Interactive" Search in Agenda
@ 2010-09-07 16:18       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, that would be nice.  What would it look like then?  Like this:
>>
>> 1. Hit C-c a
>> 2. Hit `m'
>> 3. Type +S and then hit TAB which expands to +Sample
>> 4. Continue with ="S0002"
>>
>> Is this what you're thinking about?
>
> Yes.  But I haven't looked into the details now, so I don't know how
> hard it is to implement this.

That's ok.  I'm excited that you are looking into it, though.

Thanks and Cheers
Markus