* org-babel-detangle not working
@ 2014-11-01 18:44 Jaakko Järvi
From: Jaakko Järvi @ 2014-11-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There seems to be something wrong with detangling.
Would it be working, it would be a really wonderful feature.

Detangling moves back to the org buffer and opens a source block editing buffer,
but does not change to block in the org buffer.

Is detangling working for some? I see this same issue described around
2013:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/75290/focus=75299

Below, a minimal test.org file and its tangled output.

Thanks,

  Jaakko Järvi

- test.org --------------------------------------------
* Heading

#+BEGIN_SRC js :comments noweb :tangle yes :padline no
  function foo() {}
#+END_SRC

- test.js ---------------------------------------------
// [[file:~/test/test.org::*Heading][Heading:1]]
function foo() {}
// Heading:1 ends here

* Re: org-babel-detangle not working
@ 2014-11-03  1:23 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-11-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaakko Järvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good evening,

1 Attempt
═════════

  Just tried out your example. So it is crystal clear, I did use the
  following:

1.1 Source input: ex1.org
─────────────────────────

  ┌────
  │ * Heading
  │
  │ #+BEGIN_SRC js :comments noweb :tangle yes :padline no
  │   function foo() {}
  │ #+END_SRC
  └────

1.2 Tangled output: ex1.js
──────────────────────────

  ┌────
  │ // [[file:~/tmp/ex1.org::*Heading][Heading:1]]
  │   function foo() {}
  │ // Heading:1 ends here
  └────

2 Comments & Questions
══════════════════════

  When I open the tangled output file, opened it in a buffer, put the
  cursor on line 2, and call `org-babel-detangle', the buffer switches
  to ex1.org, and then I get the message:

        Return to existing edit buffer ([n] will revert changes)?
        (y or n)

  Whether I choose yes or not, the current buffer always returns to
  ex1.js.

  Is this expected?

3 Environment
═════════════

  ┌────
  │ (print emacs-version)
  └────

  ┌────
  │ "24.3.1"
  └────

  ┌────
  │ (print org-version)
  └────

  ┌────
  │ "8.2.8"
  └────

  ┌────
  │ (print (pp-to-string org-babel-default-header-args))
  └────

  ┌────
  │ "((:eval . \"always\")
  │  (:padline . \"no\")
  │  (:noweb . \"no-export\")
  │  (:exports . \"both\")
  │  (:results . \"output replace\")
  │  (:comments . \"no\")
  │  (:session . \"none\")
  │  (:cache . \"no\")
  │  (:hlines . \"no\")
  │  (:tangle . \"no\"))
  │ "
  └────

  ┌────
  │ (print (pp-to-string org-babel-default-header-args:R))
  └────

  ┌────
  │ "((:session . \"*R*\"))
  │ "
  └────

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Jaakko Järvi <jarvij@gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems to be something wrong with detangling.
> Would it be working, it would be a really wonderful feature.
>
> Detangling moves back to the org buffer and opens a source block editing buffer,
> but does not change to block in the org buffer.
>
> Is detangling working for some? I see this same issue described around
> 2013:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/75290/focus=75299
>
> Below, a minimal test.org file and its tangled output.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Jaakko Järvi
>
> - test.org --------------------------------------------
> * Heading
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC js :comments noweb :tangle yes :padline no
>   function foo() {}
> #+END_SRC
>
> - test.js ---------------------------------------------
> // [[file:~/test/test.org::*Heading][Heading:1]]
> function foo() {}
> // Heading:1 ends here

Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: org-babel-detangle not working
@ 2014-11-03  1:43   ` Jaakko Järvi
From: Jaakko Järvi @ 2014-11-03  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Grant,

This is exactly the behavior I get too.
Thank you for documenting it precisely.

Let me clarify one step:

“put the cursor on line 2 in ex1.js, _and modify that line_, and
then call org-babel-detangle”

And no, I don’t think what happens is the expected behavior.

I would expect the contents of the source block in ex1.org
to be replaced with the modified contents of the block in ex1.js.

But that does not happen.

(One could imagine that org-babel-detangle would detangle the entire
buffer back to the org file, but based on what I understand of the
code of org-babel-detangle, it is only trying to detangle one
block; perhaps another function to do the former, say
org-babel-detangle-buffer, would be a useful command
as well)

Best,

  Jaakko

@ 2014-11-05  1:11     ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-11-05  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaakko Järvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Need any help creating a minimum example?

@ 2014-11-05  2:26       ` Jaakko Järvi
From: Jaakko Järvi @ 2014-11-05  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

I don’t think there’s much more to explain
or a more minimum example to create. The behavior is exactly
as you specified, and it is not an expected or desired behavior.
I’m happy to try to clarify more, but I don’t at this point know
what is unclear about the problem.

Best,

  Jaakko

@ 2014-11-05 16:29         ` Grant Rettke