* Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20  0:36 Flávio de Souza
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-11-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everybody!

I'm new emacs and org-mode user. I've posted to this group sometimes and
I got helpful hints. Now I need your help ( opinion ) about
publishing html with org-mode.

I decided to use emacs to make my personal website. Basically,
I want to write essays, tutorials and my cv and put in internet. I also
want to do a blog.

I am using org-mode to keep tracking of all my projects and it is working
really nice, therefore I'd like to try org-mode to make my web site.

I would like to know some web sites that are using org-mode. Can you point
some of them?

Can I use org-mode to make my blog too? Do you use it for that?

If I could use org-mode, it would be perfect, because I´d keep
all my material (notes, project, essays, blogs...) in the same organization
structure.

Flávio de Souza
flaviostz@gmail.com

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20  2:51 ` Peter BARABAS
From: Peter BARABAS @ 2008-11-20  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 01:36, Flávio de Souza <flaviostz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I would like to know some web sites that are using org-mode. Can you point
> some of them?

The home page of org-mode ( http://orgmode.org ) and the worg
community site ( http://orgmode.org/worg/ ) are both powered by
org-mode.

> Can I use org-mode to make my blog too? Do you use it for that?

At least 2 blogging libraries for org-mode exist: org-blog and blorg.
Here's a comparison thread:

http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.orgmode/2007-07/msg00051.html

Some information about them are at
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgBlog and
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Blorg

--
'(Yours parenthetically
"peter barabas")

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20  4:28 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-20  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm new emacs and org-mode user. I've posted to this group sometimes and
> I got helpful hints. Now I need your help ( opinion ) about
> publishing html with org-mode.
>
> I decided to use emacs to make my personal website. Basically,
> I want to write essays, tutorials and my cv and put in internet. I also
> want to do a blog.
>
> I am using org-mode to keep tracking of all my projects and it is working
> really nice, therefore I'd like to try org-mode to make my web site.
>
> I would like to know some web sites that are using org-mode. Can you point
> some of them?

Hi Flavio,

I just began a website with org-publish for many of the same reasons
you mention:

http://faculty.valpo.edu/mlundin/

Of course, there's the org-mode website itself:

http://orgmode.org/

As well as Worg, the org-mode wiki:

http://orgmode.org/worg/

> Can I use org-mode to make my blog too? Do you use it for that?

For blogs there is the discontinued blorg.el, which uses its own
export mechanism (i.e., not org-export):

- http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/blorg.php
- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Blorg

There's also org-blog (a bit out of date now), though I haven't been
able to get it to work with more recent versions of org-publish.
Perhaps someone else who's had more luck will offer their opinion
here.

- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgBlog.

Hope this helps.

Matt

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20  7:59   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-20  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Flávio de Souza, emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:
>
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I'm new emacs and org-mode user. I've posted to this group sometimes and
>> I got helpful hints. Now I need your help ( opinion ) about
>> publishing html with org-mode.
>>
>> I decided to use emacs to make my personal website. Basically,
>> I want to write essays, tutorials and my cv and put in internet. I also
>> want to do a blog.
>>
>> I am using org-mode to keep tracking of all my projects and it is working
>> really nice, therefore I'd like to try org-mode to make my web site.
>>
>> I would like to know some web sites that are using org-mode. Can you point
>> some of them?
>
> Hi Flavio,
>
> I just began a website with org-publish for many of the same reasons
> you mention:
>
> http://faculty.valpo.edu/mlundin/

Nice.

Is your table of contents simply standard org fair with some special
css?

Here's my little offering : http://richardriley.net/

> For blogs there is the discontinued blorg.el, which uses its own
> export mechanism (i.e., not org-export):
>
> - http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/blorg.php
> - http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Blorg
>
> There's also org-blog (a bit out of date now), though I haven't been
> able to get it to work with more recent versions of org-publish.
> Perhaps someone else who's had more luck will offer their opinion
> here.

Carsten implemented selective tag based export. I see no reason why that
can't be used for "blog" publishing to ones own web albeit a tad heavy
on bandwidth since it will republish entire pages.

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 14:43     ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-11-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:
>>
>>> Hi everybody!
>>>
>>> I'm new emacs and org-mode user. I've posted to this group sometimes and
>>> I got helpful hints. Now I need your help ( opinion ) about
>>> publishing html with org-mode.
>>>
>>> I decided to use emacs to make my personal website. Basically,
>>> I want to write essays, tutorials and my cv and put in internet. I also
>>> want to do a blog.
>>>
>>> I am using org-mode to keep tracking of all my projects and it is working
>>> really nice, therefore I'd like to try org-mode to make my web site.
>>>
>>> I would like to know some web sites that are using org-mode. Can you point
>>> some of them?

I've been using org-mode to make my web site since August. The address
follows.

http://www3.uakron.edu/randby

Scott Randby

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 16:01     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: Flávio de Souza, emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Flavio,
>>
>> I just began a website with org-publish for many of the same reasons
>> you mention:
>>
>> http://faculty.valpo.edu/mlundin/
>
> Nice.
>
> Is your table of contents simply standard org fair with some special
> css?
>
> Here's my little offering : http://richardriley.net/

Yes, the horizontal TOC is standard org with some CSS styling. I still
have concerns about its usability, but I like the look of it.

I very much like the clean design of your website.

Matt

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 16:07       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-20 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: flaviostz, emacs-orgmode, Richard Riley

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Flavio,
>>>
>>> I just began a website with org-publish for many of the same reasons
>>> you mention:
>>>
>>> http://faculty.valpo.edu/mlundin/
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> Is your table of contents simply standard org fair with some special
>> css?
>>
>> Here's my little offering : http://richardriley.net/
>>

> Yes, the horizontal TOC is standard org with some CSS styling. I still
> have concerns about its usability, but I like the look of it.
>
> I very much like the clean design of your website.
>
> Matt

There are some hacks there since I never really got around to
understanding the java script stuff for navigation., but yeah, I really
tried to keep it low bandwidth and "clean". Yours is a super example of
clean and functional too IMO. There's simply too much clutter on most
sites and we all need to do our little bit to reduce transfer overhead
IMO - not that my little business site is totally innocent :-;

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 17:47       ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2008-11-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Matthew Lundin

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> Yes, the horizontal TOC is standard org with some CSS styling. I still
> have concerns about its usability, but I like the look of it.

Indeed, your horizontal TOC is very beautiful. I guess the main
usability concern is that it is not immediately obvious that it is a
TOC for the page, rather than a bunch of links to separate pages on
your site.

Would you mind if I sought (ahem) inspiration from your CSS file?

Here is an example of a small bunch of pages that I published with org:

http://www.crya.unam.mx/~will/temarios-armonia.html

Much less ambitious than the other examples given, but it did its job.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 21:19         ` mdl
From: mdl @ 2008-11-20 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Will,

"William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>> Yes, the horizontal TOC is standard org with some CSS styling. I still
>> have concerns about its usability, but I like the look of it.
>
> Indeed, your horizontal TOC is very beautiful. I guess the main
> usability concern is that it is not immediately obvious that it is a
> TOC for the page, rather than a bunch of links to separate pages on
> your site.

Yes, that's my concern as well, but including "Table of Contents"
looked a little clunky.

> Would you mind if I sought (ahem) inspiration from your CSS file?

Not at all. It can be found at:

http://faculty.valpo.edu/mlundin/css/stylesheet.css

> Here is an example of a small bunch of pages that I published with org:
>
> http://www.crya.unam.mx/~will/temarios-armonia.html

Thanks for the link. It's nice knowing how many other org-publish
users there are out there.

Matt

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 21:23       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-20 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srandby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

srandby@gmail.com writes:

> I've been using org-mode to make my web site since August. The address
> follows.
>
> http://www3.uakron.edu/randby

Thanks for the link. I like how you've used org-info.js and a single
page to create an entire website.

Matt

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-20 23:28   ` Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-11-20 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks everybody for sharing your web sites!

--

@ 2008-11-21  2:47         ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-11-21  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> srandby@gmail.com writes:
>
>> I've been using org-mode to make my web site since August. The address
>> follows.
>>
>> http://www3.uakron.edu/randby
>
> Thanks for the link. I like how you've used org-info.js and a single
> page to create an entire website.
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks. I think org-info.js is fantastic. During a semester, I make
daily updates to several parts of the site. Having the whole site
generated from one file makes it easy to do these updates. One update
takes at most 5 minutes as opposed to the 15-20 minutes it took before I
began using org-mode. My students seem to have fewer problems with the
site now, an unexpected bonus.

Scott

* Re: Publishing my personal website with Org-mode
@ 2008-11-21 11:25 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-21 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I think it would be nice if someone could create a Worg page
with links to websites that are created using Org.

Any volunteers?

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-21 13:09 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2008-11-21 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I volunteer to do this. If anyone has a link to include, please send it to me.

Scott Randby

@ 2008-11-21 14:02 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode