* org-protocol firefox keybinding
@ 2009-10-17 20:28 James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2009-10-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was cleaning out my Firefox tabs, using org-protocol to drop links into my org
buffers, when it occured to me that having keybindings for the store link and
remember functions would be quicker than clicking on the bookmarklets. I use a
Firefox plugin called keyconfig which lets you change the keybindings and add
new ones, so after a bit of Javascript hacking I managed to get some keybindings
working. Here's how to do it:

Install keyconfig from http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi.

Open the keyconfig dialog by going to Tools and then Keyconfig.

Click the 'Add a new Key' button. Enter "Org store link" as the name.
Enter the following in the box with /* CODE */ in it:

var orgProtoString = 'org-protocol://store-link://'+
  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.currentURI.spec) + '/' +
  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.contentWindow.title) + '/' +
  encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());

gBrowser.loadURI(orgProtoString);

Click OK. You will then need to bind a key by clicking in the box next to the
'Apply' button and pressing whatever key combination you want. Click 'Apply' to
store the keybinding.

Repeat the steps, but call the next key "Org remember" and use the code below:

var orgProtoString = 'org-protocol://remember://'+
  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.currentURI.spec) + '/' +
  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.contentWindow.title) + '/' +
  encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());

gBrowser.loadURI(orgProtoString);

Click Close, then OK, and then restart Firefox. You should then be able to
access the org-protocol functions with your chosen keys.

I've added a section to the Worg page for org-protocol with the instructions.

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|

* Re: org-protocol firefox keybinding
@ 2009-10-18  6:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-18  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 17, 2009, at 10:28 PM, James TD Smith wrote:

> I was cleaning out my Firefox tabs, using org-protocol to drop links
> into my org
> buffers, when it occured to me that having keybindings for the store
> link and
> remember functions would be quicker than clicking on the
> bookmarklets. I use a
> Firefox plugin called keyconfig which lets you change the
> keybindings and add
> new ones, so after a bit of Javascript hacking I managed to get some
> keybindings
> working. Here's how to do it:
>
> Install keyconfig from http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi.
>
> Open the keyconfig dialog by going to Tools and then Keyconfig.
>
> Click the 'Add a new Key' button. Enter "Org store link" as the name.
> Enter the following in the box with /* CODE */ in it:

> var orgProtoString = 'org-protocol://store-link://'+
>  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.currentURI.spec) + '/' +
>  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.contentWindow.title) + '/' +
>  encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());
>
> gBrowser.loadURI(orgProtoString);
>
> Click OK. You will then need to bind a key by clicking in the box
> next to the
> 'Apply' button and pressing whatever key combination you want. Click
> 'Apply' to
> store the keybinding.
>
> Repeat the steps, but call the next key "Org remember" and use the
> code below:

> var orgProtoString = 'org-protocol://remember://'+
>  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.currentURI.spec) + '/' +
>  encodeURIComponent(gBrowser.contentWindow.title) + '/' +
>  encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());
>
> gBrowser.loadURI(orgProtoString);
>
> Click Close, then OK, and then restart Firefox. You should then be
> able to
> access the org-protocol functions with your chosen keys.
>
> I've added a section to the Worg page for org-protocol with the
> instructions.

Thanks!

- Carsten