* Sub-tree EXPORT_ properties are not over-riding file-level options
@ 2014-11-13  3:58 Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2014-11-13  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My exports are not picking up sub-tree EXPORT_ properties.

Emacs:  GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Org:  Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10-16-g4c37a9

Here's my test file (export-test.org):
#+AUTHOR: Daniel Sinder

* First Heading
  - Item 1.a
  - Item 1.b

* Second Heading
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EXPORT_AUTHOR: E. Maxor Gamode
  :END:
  - Item 2.a
  - Item 2.b

When I export the whole file to ASCII, the author is set, as expected, from
the AUTHOR option (blank lines removed for brevity):
    _______________
      EXPORT-TEST
     Daniel Sinder
    _______________

1 First Heading
===============
  - Item 1.a
  - Item 1.b

2 Second Heading
================
  - Item 2.a
  - Item 2.b

When I select just the Second Heading, I then get the following (note,
EXPORT_AUTHOR property is not picked up):
    _______________
      EXPORT-TEST
     Daniel Sinder
    _______________

1 Second Heading
================
  - Item 2.a
  - Item 2.b

If I disable the loading of my locally installed, bleeding edge org-mode
from my init.el, it brings me back to Org-mode version 7.9.3f
(release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef), which is the old export engine (I think).
However the sub-tree export at least does what I'd expect in terms of
setting the title (from the heading) and author (from the property):

                            Second Heading
                            ==============

Author: E. Maxor Gamode
Date: 2014-11-12 19:53:00 Pacific Standard Time

  - Item 2.a
  - Item 2.b

I've verified the same problem for other EXPORT_ properties and other
export formats (e.g., html).  Is this a bug in the new export engine, or am
I doing something wrong?  Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

* Re: Sub-tree EXPORT_ properties are not over-riding file-level options
@ 2014-11-13 18:14 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-13 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:

> My exports are not picking up sub-tree EXPORT_ properties.
>
> Emacs:  GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
> Org:  Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10-16-g4c37a9

[...]

> I've verified the same problem for other EXPORT_ properties and other
> export formats (e.g., html).  Is this a bug in the new export engine, or am
> I doing something wrong?  Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

The EXPORT_ properties are only meaningful when you do a subtree export,
i.e., Export scope is "Subtree" in export dispatcher.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Sub-tree EXPORT_ properties are not over-riding file-level options
@ 2014-11-13 20:29   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2014-11-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> The EXPORT_ properties are only meaningful when you do a subtree export,
> i.e., Export scope is "Subtree" in export dispatcher.

Thank you!  That does the trick.

I must say, this is a little confusing because an active region limits the
output of the export to the active region.  Thus, the output of a single
subtree misled me to believe that the "scope" of the export had been
already limited to "Subtree."

I now see the variable org-export-initial-scope, but that's a little too
heavy handed (since one can't export the entire file if it is left set to
Subtree.  It would be nice if there was some way to have 'C-c @'
automatically (and temporarily) set this variable to Subtree until the next
export or until the region is de-activated.

Thanks again,

@ 2014-11-13 21:28     ` Subhan Michael Tindall
>The EXPORT_ properties are only meaningful when you do a subtree export,
>i.e., Export scope is "Subtree" in export dispatcher.
>
>Thank you!  That does the trick.
>
>I must say, this is a little confusing because an active region limits the output of the export to the active region.  Thus, the output of a single subtree >misled me to believe that the "scope" of the export had been already limited to "Subtree."
>
>I now see the variable org-export-initial-scope, but that's a little too heavy handed (since one can't export the entire file if it is left set to Subtree.  It >would be nice if there was some way to have 'C-c @' automatically (and temporarily) set this variable to Subtree until the next export or until the >region is de-activated.
>
>Thanks again,
>Dan

C-c C-e followed by C-s limits the export scope to the subtree at point quite nicely in my experience. It resets when the dispatcher is closed

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.